"Sita Sings the Blues": animated film by Nina Paley
A 3-D animation film, Ramayana - The Epic, released recently in theatres:

http://spicezee.zeenews.com/articles/story73170.htm
Quote:A major flaw of the film is a lack of guts, and its affirmation of stereotypes - be it of animation, the story of Ramayana or its characters. Thus, the heroes are faultless and the villains have no redeeming qualities.

Watch or Download the animated film Online for free.
"Sita Sings the Blues"
http://sitasingstheblues.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sita_Sings_the_Blues
Quote:Controversy

The film's distribution sparked an intense debate regarding the portrayal of Hindu culture in Western media and was even met with outrage by some Hindus[23][dead link] and, according to the film-maker, a number of left-wing academics also[24]. In April 2009, a group called the Hindu Janajagruti Samiti started a petition calling for a complete ban on the movie and initiation of legal action against all those who have been involved in its production and marketing, believing its portrayal of the Ramayana to be offensive, with some members even going so far as to call it "a derogatory act against the entire Hindu community."[25] Nina Paley was surprised by the hostility, saying "I thought it might be a bit controversial, but I wasn’t fully aware of how art and artists are major targets of some right-wing nationalist groups in India. I always imagine an audience of smart, compassionate people I’d enjoy spending time with."[26] Aseem Chabra, who was one of the shadow puppets in the film, said "In the last two decades, the right-wing religious forces in India — Hindu and Muslim — have become very strong, vocal and sometimes violent. But I also know that there are enough sane, balanced, liberal people in India who take art for what it is."[26]

Nina Paley has said that some left-wing academics have also been critical of the film, describing their position as "any white person doing a project like this is by definition racist, and it's an example of more neocolonialism
Review:
Nina Paley's solo production of Sita's story from the Ramayana is an enchanting, irreverent animated movie that Hindus either love or hate.
http://www.hinduismtoday.com/modules/sma...temid=5123

Discussion on Hinduism Today Fb page, "What did you think of Sita Sings the Blues?":
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=11...&topic=108
[+] 1 user Likes Swati's post
Thanks for the links. I will get back to this thread after watching the movie.

"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.
[+] 1 user Likes Ajita Kamal's post
I've seen this movie and it is pretty good. It was my first encounter of criticism of the Ramayana. How about the Mahabharat? I want to see/read a criticism of it too. I have read Dr. Kamath's articles on the Bhagavad Gita, but what about the enormous violence in the the Mahabharat? Have you any of you seen/read any criticism of the Mahabharat?
Aditya Manthramurthy
Web Administrator & Associate Editor
Nirmukta.com
The reason I mentioned the latest version of Ramayana in my earlier post was that I can't fathom why someone like Ketan Mehta would make it except maybe an interest in 3-D animation.
He's the guy who made the brilliant movie, "Mirch Masala" in the 1980s. It's a must-watch film.
Someone has uploaded it on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwqWpUoxyEw

http://www.moviewalah.com/review/2007/03...ies-spices
I have seen this movie 4 months back!! funny as hell.... Good mocking!!
This is hilarious! Lol
Quote:How about the Mahabharat? I want to see/read a criticism of it too.

There is a paper by Amartya Sen on this. He analyses the Arjuna's dilemma on the battlefield in light of modern philosophy and defends Arjuna's non-willingness to fight. It was at some areas a bit heavy read but its well worth it. Google "Consequential Evaluation and Practical Reason by Amartya Sen". There's a pdf floating around somewhere.
This is hilarious and very well done. Now check out this blog which claims to include humor but he seems to have lost it when his religious ideas were hurt Lol

http://jayshah.posterous.com/outrageous-...hindu-gods
http://www.outlookindia.com/article.aspx?262348

Internationally acclaimed Sanskrit scholar and author Wendy Doniger was famously at the receiving end of an egg thrown by an enraged Hindu at a London lecture in 2003. Since then, she has continued to infuriate the Hindutva brigade with her unorthodox views on Hinduism and its sacred texts, earning for herself the epithet: “crude, lewd and very rude in the hallowed portals of Sanskrit academics”. Undeterred, Doniger has gone on to write a learned and rambunctious 780-page opus, The Hindus: An Alternative History, which is out this week in its Indian edition. Some excerpts of an interview with Sheela Reddy:
I don't generally like musicals and as such I found the movie passable. But it is a movie that is very much needed. As far as I know, most of the criticism of Ramayana is literary. There are some movies which project Ravana as a tragic hero, but there are no movies which show the abandonment of Sita as well as Sita Sings the Blues does.

(24-Oct-2010, 09:14 AM)Sajit Wrote: This is hilarious and very well done. Now check out this blog which claims to include humor but he seems to have lost it when his religious ideas were hurt Lol

http://jayshah.posterous.com/outrageous-...hindu-gods

So blinded is he in his love of Hinduism and hatred of Christianity that he can't even get this point right:

Quote:1. False representation:The commentators say that the Ramayana is not as true a story as the Bible.

Spiritual fact:
This seems to be an attempt to portray the Bible as being more trustworthy than the Ramayana. Yes, propaganda to prove Christianity's superiority over Hinduism. This movie is part and parcel of the anti-Hindu movement and propagation of Christianity. This movie violates the religious feelings of Hindus. The Government must ban this film.

The movie didn't say that. What is said was that the Ramayan is just as true as the Bible is. I guess the subtlety was lost on his fundie brain.
New York, USA: The 21st July showing of ‘Sita Sings the Blues’ in Starlight Pavilion has been cancelled after growing protests from the Hindu community, spearheaded by Patanjali Rambrich, an alert Hindu in New York. A spontaneous protest demonstration by temple devotees also had taken place at Durga Temple of Virginia last night, when a TV interview about the issue was recorded in front of the Rama-Sita shrine. Last week, Forum for Hindu Awakening had received several complaints about this showing to be held along with a panel discussion with the film’s producer Nina Paley. Hindus have found this animation film to be an extremely denigrating twist on their sacred epic ‘Ramayan’.

Given the organizer Rohan Narine’s initial non-response to Hindus’ protests, Forum for Hindu Awakening had to call for staging educative protests outside the venue and boycotting Starlight Pavilion. However, today, in an email, Rohan Narine has confirmed the cancellation of this event. It is learned from sources that this was due to Starlight Pavilion cancelling this event.

The ‘Ramayan’ was composed by Hindus’ revered Sage Valmiki. It is a narration of the exemplary life of Rama, who is worshipped by Hindus as the embodiment of perfection, while Rama’s wife Sita is worshipped as the ultimate symbol of chastity. Paley, claiming the film to be based on the ‘Ramayan’, has drawn irreverent parallels between her own heartbreak and Rama and Sita. Paley has in the past disregarded protests from thousands of Hindus worldwide, showing her insensitivity and malicious intent in making this film. Forum for Hindu Awakening is a nonprofit, tax exempt organization in USA, devoted to creating awareness about Hinduism and Hindu spirituality.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence
(07-Aug-2011, 10:29 PM)Sajit Wrote: New York, USA: The 21st July showing of ‘Sita Sings the Blues’ in Starlight Pavilion has been cancelled after growing protests from the Hindu community, spearheaded by Patanjali Rambrich, an alert Hindu in New York. A spontaneous protest demonstration by temple devotees also had taken place at Durga Temple of Virginia last night, when a TV interview about the issue was recorded in front of the Rama-Sita shrine. Last week, Forum for Hindu Awakening had received several complaints about this showing to be held along with a panel discussion with the film’s producer Nina Paley. Hindus have found this animation film to be an extremely denigrating twist on their sacred epic ‘Ramayan’.

Given the organizer Rohan Narine’s initial non-response to Hindus’ protests, Forum for Hindu Awakening had to call for staging educative protests outside the venue and boycotting Starlight Pavilion. However, today, in an email, Rohan Narine has confirmed the cancellation of this event. It is learned from sources that this was due to Starlight Pavilion cancelling this event.

The ‘Ramayan’ was composed by Hindus’ revered Sage Valmiki. It is a narration of the exemplary life of Rama, who is worshipped by Hindus as the embodiment of perfection, while Rama’s wife Sita is worshipped as the ultimate symbol of chastity. Paley, claiming the film to be based on the ‘Ramayan’, has drawn irreverent parallels between her own heartbreak and Rama and Sita. Paley has in the past disregarded protests from thousands of Hindus worldwide, showing her insensitivity and malicious intent in making this film. Forum for Hindu Awakening is a nonprofit, tax exempt organization in USA, devoted to creating awareness about Hinduism and Hindu spirituality.

A perfect example of Hindu fundamentalists curtailing freedom of speech.
"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.