Spot The Logical Fallacy: Cell phone radiation dangers
Below is a comment that was left on our second article on the Tehelka radiation study report here: http://nirmukta.com/2010/06/15/fact-chec...formation/

Are there any logical fallacies here? If yes, what are they. Here's a new site that lists some logical fallacies: http://www.logicalfallacies.info/ I haven't checked it all, so if you don't like the content please suggest another reference site.

Quote:mr kamal, i dont know about cell phone cancer and your research but, cell tower radiation has to be accepted. Because noneof the companies are adhereing to the who standards of 600 mw per sq m. Today in andhra pradesh in tv9 news channel they have shown the radiation levels in different areas. Most odf the areas are in danger levels above 4000 mw/sqm. How can you defend cell phone companies when they are playing with citizens health and lives? I am personally experiencing the difference in my health condition since the 4 cell towers have been erected around my house a 2-3 years back. Iam feeling sleeplessness due to the radiation. Sameis the case with even my brother.

Please leave your responses below. Thanks!
Big Grin
"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.
The poster claims that the increased radiation is the cause of his sleeplessness, whereas this has not been established. It's a deductive fallacy.

I haven't been closely following the Tehelka radiation study reports, so I have sneakily Sneaky assumed that the information in the post above is enough to figure out the fallacy Cool. So is there anything more to it?
Aditya Manthramurthy
Web Administrator & Associate Editor
Nirmukta.com
Nice one, donatello.

Quote:"How can you defend cell phone companies when they are playing with citizens health and lives?"

This is a common type of tautology called the circular argument. In order for the statement to be true we must assume that the cell phone companies are deliberately allowing the destruction of "citizens health and lives", which is exactly what the whole disagreement is about! Emotional pleas are only meaningful if the person making the argument gets the facts right.
Anyone who watches TV9 will experience sleeplessness, as it has some of the poorest quality reporting and sensationalism.Biggrin
Quote:"How can you defend cell phone companies when they are playing with citizens health and lives?"

I think that's ad hominem
Quote:I am personally experiencing the difference in my health condition since the 4 cell towers have been erected around my house a 2-3 years back. Iam feeling sleeplessness due to the radiation. Sameis the case with even my brother.

Using anecdotal evidence to assert a truth.
(04-Jul-2010, 10:32 AM)Ajita Kamal Wrote: Nice one, donatello.

This is a common type of tautology called the circular argument. In order for the statement to be true we must assume that the cell phone companies are deliberately allowing the destruction of "citizens health and lives", which is exactly what the whole disagreement is about! Emotional pleas are only meaningful if the person making the argument gets the facts right.

Ajita, I also see it as a strawman agrument. The article was questioning the veracity of the Tehelka report. But the commenter assumed that you were defending cell phone companies that play with people's heath.
(15-Jul-2010, 01:19 AM)Lije Wrote:
(04-Jul-2010, 10:32 AM)Ajita Kamal Wrote: Nice one, donatello.

Ajita, I also see it as a strawman agrument. The article was questioning the veracity of the Tehelka report. But the commenter assumed that you were defending cell phone companies that play with people's heath.

Yeah, it is. I once saw a graphical representation of the relationships between logical fallacies, and it blew my mind. There are many ways of approaching each error in reason, and many of the specific fallacies that we talk about are part of other more general categories of fallacies. As you pointed out, sometimes a single sentence may exhibit many different fallacious forms of reasoning.
(05-Jul-2010, 08:14 PM)bala Wrote:

Isnt that begging the question?

PS: I'm sorry for waking up a dead thread but I'm reading up on all the fallacies and need some practice smile
(06-Sep-2010, 05:41 PM)mohankarthik Wrote:
(05-Jul-2010, 08:14 PM)bala Wrote:

Isnt that begging the question?

PS: I'm sorry for waking up a dead thread but I'm reading up on all the fallacies and need some practice smile
Definitely, begging the question. I mentioned in another comment above that the particular line that you quote is a type of tautology known as the circular argument. That's another way of saying 'begging the question' smile
http://youarenotsosmart.com/2010/09/11/t...r-fallacy/

“A community that is afflicted with an unusual number of cancers quite naturally looks for a cause in the environment – in the ground, the water, the air. And the correlations are sometimes found: the cluster may arise after, say, contamination of the water supply by a possible carcinogen. The problem is that when scientists have tried to confirm such causes, they haven’t been able to. Raymond Richard Neutra, California’s chief environmental health investigator and an expert on cancer clusters, points out that among hundreds of exhaustive, published investigations of residential clusters in the United States, not one has convincingly identified an underlying environmental cause. Abroad, in only a handful of cases has a neighborhood cancer cluster been shown to arise from an environmental cause. And only one of these cases ended with the discovery of an unrecognized carcinogen.”

The Cancer Cluster Myth, The New Yorker, Feb. 1999

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fallacy: Appeal to Authority mohankarthik 6 5,883 28-Oct-2015, 10:46 AM
Last Post: THAPLIYAL.SHASHI
  What fallacy/ies do you think apply to this sentence by Chopra? Ajita Kamal 6 6,380 19-Sep-2011, 09:32 PM
Last Post: arvindiyer
  Misuse of logical fallacies Lije 9 11,059 20-Jul-2011, 10:06 PM
Last Post: Ajita Kamal
  the "we've been wrong before" fallacy Xi Shu 2 3,105 01-Jul-2011, 02:54 AM
Last Post: LMC
  Fallacy Hunting, Episode 4 - Science in the Quran Ajita Kamal 11 9,541 22-Jun-2011, 05:43 AM
  Is there a fallacy in this? unsorted 1 3,540 19-Oct-2010, 05:41 PM
  Another logically incoherent comment for us to practice our fallacy detection skills Ajita Kamal 2 3,540 27-Jul-2010, 11:30 PM
Last Post: siddharth