Standing up to idiots.
"A recent event has caused me to question the lines of it means to be sexually assaulted and when grounds for filing charges against someone is mandatory. While sleeping with a guy decided to take off the condom without me realizing it and when he was fingering me he pulled out my nuvaring without telling me. I saw her nuvaring on the ground and he admittedly told me that he had pulled it out. The next day I wrote Eric an email asking him to never contact me again."

I don't know how a man can get off doing this to someone. Endangering her health and taking away her reproductive rights so thoughtlessly. Seriously, where do we draw the line with this kind of blatant disregard for women??

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=113265332045831
You're right, most people would not even consider such an incident as sexual abuse, when that is exactly what it is. Such abuse is unfortunately all too common.

I was recently involved in a series of conversations on facebook about a similar type of abuse of women's rights, this time concerning the notion of consent when under the influence of alcohol.

Since we both agree on this topic, how about making the discussion more general to include all cases of non-consensual sexual acts? If a woman had sex with someone and can't remember it the next day (basically, she blacks because she's drunk), would you say she was raped?

This gets into difficult areas in practice, because there are always subjective judgments involved. For example, how are we to be certain that someone is not so inebriated that they cannot be responsible or aware of their actions? But I think the fact that these are tough issues to judge should not prevent us from trying.
"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.
(24-May-2010, 06:22 AM)Ajita Kamal Wrote: If a woman had sex with someone and can't remember it the next day (basically, she blacks because she's drunk), would you say she was raped?

In America, that would be considered rape, since the woman could not properly give her consent.

In the Manu Smriti, that would be considered a "Pisacha Vivaha":

Quote:When (a man) by stealth seduces a girl who is sleeping, intoxicated, or disordered in intellect, that is the eighth, the most base and sinful rite of the Pisakas. (Manu Smriti 3.34)
[+] 1 user Likes TTCUSM's post
(08-Sep-2010, 06:49 AM)TTCUSM Wrote: In the Manu Smriti, that would be considered a "Pisacha Vivaha"

The Manu Smriti is primitive garbage as far as moral teachings are concerned. It is misogynistic and classist. All ancient historical works describing primitive laws contain parts that we can agree with, including the quran and the bible. Modern humans have much more information with which to make moral decisions than did our primitive ancestors.
"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.
[+] 1 user Likes Ajita Kamal's post
(08-Sep-2010, 08:43 AM)Ajita Kamal Wrote:
(08-Sep-2010, 06:49 AM)TTCUSM Wrote: In the Manu Smriti, that would be considered a "Pisacha Vivaha"

The Manu Smriti is primitive garbage as far as moral teachings are concerned. It is misogynistic and classist. All ancient historical works describing primitive laws contain parts that we can agree with, including the quran and the bible. Modern humans have much more information with which to make moral decisions than did our primitive ancestors.

I completely agree with what you said Ajita.

(08-Sep-2010, 06:49 AM)TTCUSM Wrote: In the Manu Smriti, that would be considered a "Pisacha Vivaha":

Quote:When (a man) by stealth seduces a girl who is sleeping, intoxicated, or disordered in intellect, that is the eighth, the most base and sinful rite of the Pisakas. (Manu Smriti 3.34)

The discussion is about what should be done in the current legal/moral framework. Is it that you think laws from a bygone age are somehow relevant in these times? Especially laws from that truck of shit called Manusmriti?
(08-Sep-2010, 10:07 AM)Lije Wrote:
(08-Sep-2010, 06:49 AM)TTCUSM Wrote: In the Manu Smriti, that would be considered a "Pisacha Vivaha":

The discussion is about what should be done in the current legal/moral framework. Is it that you think laws from a bygone age are somehow relevant in these times? Especially laws from that truck of shit called Manusmriti?
Thumbup

(08-Sep-2010, 10:07 AM)Lije Wrote:

No, the Manu Smriti is definitely NOT relevant in today's world.
I was just giving an example...

This TTCUSM guy is a troll. I repeat this (I have mentioned this elsewhere), at the cost of being banned for making a tangential remark.

Why are you appealing to the authority of manu?
Murthy

"Credulity kills" -- Carl Sagan
[+] 1 user Likes murthymail's post