The Nirmukta Podcast
I recently had the privilege of participating in a podcast organised by another site promoting rationalism and free-thinking and thought that it was a pretty neat idea.

I think, given the Facebook reach of this community, we can organise a podcast every month and it would be quite popular. It is quite easy to make as well. Just arrange for a Skype-meetup and a sweet intro-music and someone to edit the whole thing. We can go for a new topic each month. Thumbup
There is a Nirmukta podcast that I've been trying to get going for 2 years now. I've put out 4 episodes and we have an itunes feed. But I am not interested in doing a one-man show. I would rather do something along the lines of the SGU podcast, but getting together a team has proved to be really hard. Many folks showed interest when approached, but none have been able to commit to a regular recording schedule that would be necessary to make this work.
"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.
Aww! That sucks!

I thought it was a neat idea. :(
(20-Jul-2010, 09:29 PM)natselrox Wrote: Aww! That sucks!

I thought it was a neat idea. :(

It's a very good idea. The mp3-player/ipod market in India has barely been poked at, and internet-based radio communication has not become popular yet, but it is set to explode over the next decade as bandwidth speeds and hardware efficiency continue to improve.
(20-Jul-2010, 08:15 PM)natselrox Wrote: I recently had the privilege of participating in a podcast organised by another site..

Please share the name and/or content of this podcast with us here, natselrox.
http://www.rationalskepticism.org/podcast/

It's on the possibility of extra-terrestrial life.

I think it'd be great if you arrange one on the free-thought and rationalism movement in India with some distinguished members of this wonderful website! I can distribute it in my college and a few others in Kolkata. ;)
I have been a culprit regarding not being able to commit to a regular recording. The only time I did participate, there happened to be some technical problem.

Ajita, I know that you will remain very busy for the rest of the year, however, the following is for whenever the podcast can be recontinued: how about we get together a larger group to be a part of the panel - say 15 maybe - and then have a monthly recording with whoever among the 15 turn who can make it? Hopefully, 3-4 will be present each time. I know, there has to be an immense focus on quality, but I am sure we can get together a quality team of 15 or so. I also understand that it would have been much better to have a regular team a la the SGU podcast, so that the audience could relate and connect better. However, for a range of reasons (and some excuses on our parts), this has been tough. One of the reasons has been that Nirmukta members are scattered across different timezones.

What are your thoughts and ideas regarding the Nirmukta Podcast?
By all means, let's do it!
This is great idea,

From bottom of my heart, i feel india needs atheist population..
Grown nations like Britain, Sweden, america has huge number of atheists compared to india... I feel every country needs at least some amount of atheists in order to regulate law of countries..

Indian govt spends lot of money on religious and other stupid things which doesn't really make any sense, I believe hindu and muslim won't fight with each other, cuz they feel, someone is laughing at both of them!! ;)

And atheist community will be always challenging to religious fanatics..

I believe 20-30% of indian are pretty much agnostics, either they didn't really thought about it much or they are just hiding in closet...

Western countries have been using youtube and other internet media spreading atheist ideas through out countries.. where as india has very poor penetration of internet, pod-cast etc..

I am not really sure, how book reading can effect the penetration..

from my analysis, newspaper would be ideal place to start, and news-channel.. but, maybe i am wrong, but i haven't noticed any strong figure in our country, who are like richard dawkins or sam harris who are rocking.. can you guyz can think of any ideas??

--
Peace
natselrox and Sid, let's continue the conversation about the new podcast in detail here:
http://nirmukta.net/Thread-Nirmukta-Radi...New-Series

For everyone else, we will be launching the new podcast starting next month. The last episode of the previous series can be found here:
http://nirmukta.com/2010/08/13/nirmukta-...kshi-rath/

If you want to be part of the Freethought Media Network (the section of the forum that is off limits to those without a password) you must first join our facebook group.
What u guyz think about making youtube videos??
ayyawar, Nirmukta does have a youtube channel where there are some quality videos. See http://www.youtube.com/user/Nirmuktavideos

Our latest addition is a series in which Prof Narendra Nayak demonstrates debunking "miracles" of Indian godmen. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk1MtPuyG...playnext=1

If you have ideas and would like to contribute to making videos please post in the appropriate forum here smile
Aditya Manthramurthy
Web Administrator & Associate Editor
Nirmukta.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nirmukta accused of being "frauds" and of unscientific thinking nick87 5 7,349 15-May-2012, 04:28 PM
Last Post: srikgn