Times of India propogating pseudoscience under Wellness banner
Hey guys,
I was reading through the TOI Chennai edition (Friday, March 30, 2012 Pg 4) and I came across a column, Times Wellness.
Here one alternative medicine practitioner says: "By balancing our energy fields, crystals keep us physically and mentally healthy."
Highlights of the "piece":
- Crystals are unique gifts from nature with unique vibrational resonances.
-They heal energy systems and goes on to describe supposed "Chakras", "life energies" and colors.
-Helps to protect your aura and serves as an antenna for receiving energy from the Universe.
Sunlight and moonlight clean the wastes that the crystals collect from you.
-Crystals can promote love, happiness, erase negative thoughts and bring you peace of mind.

Incidentally, this really ticks me off. Any respectable newspaper should verify its sources before publication and thats even more important in the case of health articles, as spreading such unscientific alternative treatments can lure some unwary people into giving up their real medical treatments for this.
A leading daily that can possibly influence the decisions of its readers should practice scientific criticism and inquiry before publishing such tripe.

Can we petition the TOI to stop publishing this sort of unscientific articles and does anyone know how?
Can we write articles to bring this to public attention?

Incidentally: here’s a good chart for sorting the scientific from the flim-flam.

"It's alright, I rarely meet anyone who's able to read it properly. Although personally, I never thought that it to be an odd of a name. Once I give people the pronunciation, they tend to remember my name by easily associating me with it. A unique face, a unique moniker."
well, I believe you could write to the editor of the newspaper. I have noticed similar hogwash in a couple of newspapers ( Hindustan Times and Navbharat Times). It is very sad.
نوشیروان
You should their speaking tree site. It's enough motivation to bang your head against the wall.
[+] 2 users Like Lije's post
(31-Mar-2012, 07:36 AM)Lije Wrote: You should their speaking tree site. It's enough motivation to bang your head against the wall.

I've already posted a reply on the Speaking Tree thread here

Consider head banged. Punk
"It's alright, I rarely meet anyone who's able to read it properly. Although personally, I never thought that it to be an odd of a name. Once I give people the pronunciation, they tend to remember my name by easily associating me with it. A unique face, a unique moniker."
[+] 1 user Likes nick87's post
Energy is the most abused word in the world of pseudoscience. Doors have to be properly positioned so that the right energy flows in! Windows should face the right direction so that bad energy flows out.

All I can say is that if a person is going to fall for this B.S. then the old adage "A fool and his money are soon parted" applies.

There are a few TV channels that peddle religious merchandise such as Nazar Raksha Kavach, genuine Rudraksh beads, etc. Actors that have played mythical roles endorse them while wearing a particularly enlightened and pious look.

As a society we seem to be headed backwards as far as science goes, but progressing fast as far as pseudoscience goes.
(22-Apr-2012, 02:04 PM)s_yajaman Wrote: There are a few TV channels that peddle religious merchandise such as Nazar Raksha Kavach, genuine Rudraksh beads, etc. Actors that have played mythical roles endorse them while wearing a particularly enlightened and pious look.

Don't be ridiculous buddy, NSK ( Nazar Suraksha Kavach) is still the best ad campaign I have ever seen in my life. When you are terribley bored, do watch NSK. It's a mood changer. Devil2

Indians today are governed by two different ideologies. Their political ideal set in the preamble of the Constitution affirms a life of liberty, equality and fraternity. Their social ideal embodied in their religion denies them. - Ambedkar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Bug Superstitions in India shrihara 43 321,813 03-Feb-2016, 05:56 PM
Last Post: jaikrishna
  Is this the scientific India our first PM Jawaharlal Nehru dreamed of? ULJUH 3 5,244 27-Oct-2013, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Lije
  Links on Pseudoscience and Superstition Lije 19 24,269 17-Jul-2013, 06:32 PM
Last Post: Poonguntan Cibi
  Govt. of India promoting Ayurveda, Unani, etc. Swati 34 31,665 20-Apr-2012, 10:23 PM
Last Post: arvindiyer
  Son Rise: A Miracle of Love - Autism pseudoscience from 1979, now in India Ajita Kamal 1 6,620 29-Oct-2011, 07:47 AM
Last Post: arvindiyer
  Quack alert: Wellness Science and Blessings Nullius In Verba Skeptic 5 6,128 07-Jun-2011, 07:31 PM
Last Post: LMC
  Astrological superstition - auspicious times, rahukala & gulikala rob 1 7,026 19-Jul-2010, 12:28 AM
Last Post: Lije