Uniform Civil Code in India
What are your ideas on a Uniform Civil Code ?

Do you think a uniform civil code overreaching civil laws to govern all people, from different religions, no religions and regions is essential.

(Article 44 of the Constitution of India enjoins upon the State 'to endeavor to secure for the citizens a Uniform Civil Code throughout the territory of India.')

I am for a Uniform Civil Code. The current system of having different laws for different religions goes against secularism.

Of course, that is easier said than done. We live in a country where mob rule trumps reason. So I have no hopes of seeing Uniform Civil Code in action during my lifetime.
[+] 1 user Likes Lije's post
Obviously an universal civil code is the answer. Essential social matters like marriage, inheritance, etc. should be governed by one code.
Ideally yes. But I remain wary of some Hindu fundamentalists pushing for it.
I wonder whether the uniform civil code would be much different from Hindu Law. I guess so many reforms have been included in that it probably has become closer to a civilized Rolleyes law.

Is there a way to include a leveler clause such that even the majority caste ego is equally hurt? How about banning caste specific marriages as part of the Uniform Civil code?
Manju Vadiarillat
Uniform Civil code is the best. Any survey of caste based must be banned and people should also not discuss caste or view others as certain caste. Viewing others as human is all needed
'Every Bit Counts" "To have any good relationship one should survive debates and argument" http://www.justfortheloveofit.org [Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PybvRUz6JnM][Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60JRbRbMl...re=related]
(29-Sep-2010, 10:51 AM)manju Wrote: Is there a way to include a leveler clause such that even the majority caste ego is equally hurt? How about banning caste specific marriages as part of the Uniform Civil code?

If pissing off the Hindu majority is the goal, why go for restricting individual freedom? How about no more worship places blocking roads, no more polluting rivers with dead bodies or no more loud speakers violating our peace of mind?
(29-Sep-2010, 08:05 PM)Lije Wrote: If pissing off the Hindu majority is the goal, why go for restricting individual freedom?
Pissing off the Hindu majority? Caste specific marriages and individual freedom?

I'm sorry to say, more than deliberation of the points you have chosen to directly judge with strong words. It didn't even occur to you that the idea of caste specific marriage has a natural tendency to oppose inter caste marriages. If the idea is fundamentally about individual freedom how can it result in curbing the individual freedom.

Quote:How about no more worship places blocking roads, no more polluting rivers with dead bodies or no more loud speakers violating our peace of mind?

I suppose rules are in place against constructions that block the roads and loud speakers. But rarely implemented. Only a small section of the castes pollute with dead bodies.
Manju Vadiarillat
(29-Sep-2010, 11:05 PM)manju Wrote: It didn't even occur to you that the idea of caste specific marriage has a natural tendency to oppose inter caste marriages. If the idea is fundamentally about individual freedom how can it result in curbing the individual freedom.

I agree that caste based marriages tend to encourage casteist mentality and a consequence of that is frowning upon inter caste marriages and I can also see the obvious effect banning caste specific marriages can have (there will only be inter caste marriages). What I fail to see is how is that not opposed to individual freedom. The specific case I have in mind is, if two people want to marry and coincidentally they happen to be from the same caste, should they be allowed to marry or not?
(30-Sep-2010, 07:38 PM)Lije Wrote: The specific case I have in mind is, if two people want to marry and coincidentally they happen to be from the same caste, should they be allowed to marry or not?

You are thinking about the punishment if such a law comes into place. I'm only thinking about making the idea of caste specific marriages non-mainstream. If a law always needs to have punishment if broken and cannot just be a recommendation, maybe punishment could be there for all the brokers and websites but not on individuals. If I think about it, open advertisements that support these caste specific marriages should be made punishable by law.
Manju Vadiarillat
(30-Sep-2010, 08:10 PM)manju Wrote:
(30-Sep-2010, 07:38 PM)Lije Wrote: The specific case I have in mind is, if two people want to marry and coincidentally they happen to be from the same caste, should they be allowed to marry or not?

You are thinking about the punishment if such a law comes into place. I'm only thinking about making the idea of caste specific marriages non-mainstream. If a law always need to have punishment if broken and cannot just be a recommendation, maybe punishment could be there for all the brokers and websites but not on individuals. If I think about it, open advertisements that support these caste specific marriages should be made punishable by law.

Now that you put it that way, I agree with you.

(30-Sep-2010, 08:20 PM)Lije Wrote:
(30-Sep-2010, 08:10 PM)manju Wrote:

You are thinking about the punishment if such a law comes into place. I'm only thinking about making the idea of caste specific marriages non-mainstream. If a law always need to have punishment if broken and cannot just be a recommendation, maybe punishment could be there for all the brokers and websites but not on individuals. If I think about it, open advertisements that support these caste specific marriages should be made punishable by law.

Now that you put it that way, I agree with you.

Why marry? Do marriage have meaning anymore? One Doctor told me Marriage is just a legal license to have sex. If that's true or not, then most and more and more people are having sex before marriage anyway. Today's DNA technology will determine who the parents are if the authorities want to hold the parents responsible for their child support.

I did come across in media saying "It takes a village to raise a child" in reality i feel "It takes the world people and nature to raise a human". If quality ethical education is given to human at all ages, everything else will fall in right place most of the time. The best way to live in peace is to get rid of money and instead all human try their best to take responsibilities of themselves and also try their best honestly to take care of fellow being and nature armed with best of ethical education. Getting rid of greed's of all kinds including greed of having not more than one kid, max two and hope third is accident ,will bring down the stress on resources of this world. We should encourage people to bear at-least one kid to avoid creating suspicion between people who have kids and those who don't. This can also be done by not discouraging others to bear any kids. "Other people security is our security" no matter which part of the world they live in. We all need to think Global as today we have created system in which countries are dependent on each other. In reality we all human are like "rat race" to go ahead by jumping over each other. The Present pyramid system of ruling most people by 2% of the ruling class deliberately grouping people like cattle's in middle class, poor class and rich class is not ethical. Which God if there is one , will allow such classes?

In west we have social security system which pays individual weekly. This system has flaws too. Most countries People depend on their children for their specially old age security. Marriage laws its self will not bring peace of all kind which we all long for and that's why most if not all of our human and nature problems we need to take into consideration and that's why i recommend getting rid of money. 95% of our human life we never had money. Money was created for a purpose and it did benefit people for sometime and still can but today money is misused and abused instead of using it. Today its possible to live without money considering the technology available and i feel Money world is bound to fail in competing with moneyless world

Rest you will find more details in the below website which i came across "just for the love of it" and its org site, if you want to Google.

Frederick Dsouza
'Every Bit Counts" "To have any good relationship one should survive debates and argument" http://www.justfortheloveofit.org [Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PybvRUz6JnM][Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60JRbRbMl...re=related]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Times of India edit adi4094 0 2,239 29-May-2014, 07:24 PM
Last Post: adi4094
  Inclusive language in India arvindiyer 3 6,418 04-Jan-2013, 12:27 AM
Last Post: arvindiyer
  Cricket and nationalism in India (and Pakistan) Captain Mandrake 0 4,236 29-Sep-2012, 11:53 AM
Last Post: Captain Mandrake
  “India Calling": Book by Anand Giridharadas arvindiyer 11 8,438 19-Jul-2011, 05:05 AM
Last Post: arvindiyer
  India's health minister calls homosexuality a disease Myst 4 3,932 10-Jul-2011, 12:41 AM
Last Post: Lije
  India in Dire Need of Civil Engineers TTCUSM 11 7,127 27-Dec-2010, 11:08 PM
Last Post: murthymail
  EVMs in India - Another scandal? donatello 8 6,109 05-Nov-2010, 05:20 PM
Last Post: donatello
  Final Solution - Hindu Terrorists in India astrokid.nj 0 2,287 06-Oct-2010, 08:19 AM
Last Post: astrokid.nj
  world's toilet crisis.. india is right there astrokid.nj 8 6,732 10-Sep-2010, 09:14 PM
Last Post: astrokid.nj
  Six convicted for 'honour killing' in India siddharth 4 3,331 10-May-2010, 08:08 PM
Last Post: subodh