Vegeterianism & Irrationality
Crazy thought, but I love doing this.
Plants harbour numerous life forms that includes several insects and microorganisms. They are all 'living' things and warrants a 'curse' to the consumer when chewed to death ( say a few insect eggs while eating tomatoes or a few weevils while cooking rice). Why should a religious person see a weevil and a rabbit with different eyes? its OK to kill one and not the other when both qualify as pests.
Check this out http://vegetarianfuture.blogspot.in/2014...chard.html
is it just me or are the nirmukta.net forums (far) less used than facebook? I made a bunch of posts ten days ago and haven't got a single reply. as opposed to fb when i got 15comments in 24h for the above post.
(26-Jun-2014, 08:01 PM)grayhound Wrote: is it just me or are the nirmukta.net forums (far) less used than facebook? I made a bunch of posts ten days ago and haven't got a single reply. as opposed to fb when i got 15comments in 24h for the above post.

Forums in general are becoming less used because of various reasons - they look old and outdated (think how geocities sites used to look. I doubt many people find them inviting), and more importantly, people like social networks or sites like reddit where they can be part of multiple communities and participate in them from one place as opposed to logging in to multiple forum sites.
Here is an example of Vegeterianism/Veganism becoming an ideology similar to religion to the point where the adherents have completely lost their moral compass and become insensitive jerks.

PETA Offers To Help Pay Water Bills For Struggling Detroit Residents — But Only If They Go Vegan
[+] 1 user Likes Captain Mandrake's post
(11-Sep-2010, 11:52 PM)bobbykrishna Wrote: Crazy thought, but I love doing this.
Plants harbour numerous life forms that includes several insects and microorganisms. They are all 'living' things and warrants a 'curse' to the consumer when chewed to death ( say a few insect eggs while eating tomatoes or a few weevils while cooking rice). Why should a religious person see a weevil and a rabbit with different eyes? its OK to kill one and not the other when both qualify as pests.

Well, not all life is equal. We have to consider whether they feel pain the same way we do. That's why Spain has introduced laws protecting primates.

I'm a vegetarian myself, but I don't think Indian secular groups should be promoting it and this is why. In the Indian context, vegetarianism is not innocent. We all know why that is. Getting equality for people in India is more important than getting equality for animals right now.

One might ask why we can't do both. They're not mutually exclusive, are they? No, but they're not independent either. Ant-Dalitism is often associated with radical vegetarianism in India.
I dont know about promoting or rather pushing for lacto/ovo-vegetarianism based on a misguided sense of ahimsa which in this day and age is not reality. Both indeed do have animal cruelty. but advocating for veganism, not the traditional ritualistic lacto-vegetarianism - based on the ethical and environmental aspects should be done. Speciesism is just like other parochial groupisms including casteism, nationalism, sexism, homphobia etc where one group in power exploits another one with limited or in this case no power/voice of its own and hence should be regarded as immoral. These are all inherent gross violations of the golden rule.

Do check out the environmental impact and ethics of diets in the following thread:
http://nirmukta.net/Thread-Vegetarianism...s-Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes garrethdsouza's post