Video Celebrating Indian Atheists
(24-Sep-2010, 02:36 PM)Ajita Kamal Wrote: Please email the email the images and quotes to editor (at) nirmukta (dot) com, or share on this thread.

Thank you!

Hope you are receiving plenty of photographs and quotes via emails smile
Thanks for the great quotes and images, Azad. Not many entries in by email, but that's to be expected smile
"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.
Thanks for the image, Swati. I simply use the img tags to embed image. If for some reason attachments are not working, we can use any number of free sites to upload the images to and then embed them here using the img tag. In fact, this is probably best, because image attachments can take up a lot of server space and we can't afford to buy storage space until Nirmukta is official.
Some say that Sir C V Raman(noble physicist) was atheist/agnostic, some say he believed in God. Like Einstein, its ambiguous, but definitely his definition of God was different from theistic religious definition. What I have found on net is this:

[Image: raman.gif]

http://www.mukto-mona.com/Articles/bipla..._raman.htm
Quote:Chapter4: Raman and his belief: did he believe in God?

Raman never liked to waste his time. Time was most precious diamond to him. Science was his God and work his religion. He believed that new discoveries confirm the existence of God. Whenever he was approached by such questions on religion, he switched over the topic—you must have a better topic to discuss. In general, he thought discussing about religion is a waste of time which is so valuable otherwise.

Once he was persistently asked about to comment on God. He was not replying. But after sometimes, he got irritated and told him, if God is there find him in the Universe with a telescope and don’t waste your time in speculation!,

No doubt he was a confirmed atheist. But he never deviated from his conservative Ayaar tradition. I believe just to feel comfortable in social life. In that sense, Raman was a legend and a living proof that one can be a deeply rooted atheist and conservatively traditional at the same time.

Another source says this:
Quote:Indian's Nobel Laureate C.V. Raman once disclosed that The Sensations of Tone by the Germany scientist H.Helmholtz, profoundly influenced his intellect. From that he learnt what research means and how to undertake it. Raman was a progressive believer. In one of his speeches he said that "There is no Heaven, no Swarga, no Hell, no rebirth, no reincarnation and no immortality. The only thing that is true is that a man is born, he lives and he dies. Therefore, he should live his life properly"

What meant God for Raman is reported as follows:"If there is a God, we must look for Him in the universe. If He is not there, He is not worth looking for."

@ Ajita. Thanks for the info. on how to embed images. I'll send any more for this particular project by email.
Saw that yesterday was Bhagat Singh's birthday on our Facebook group. How did we miss this guy?

Quote:I have read of atheists facing all troubles quite boldly, so am I trying to stand like a man with an erect head to the last; even on the gallows.
I have been trying to find quotes, text or video, of persons whose atheistic beliefs are less widely known.
I can't find Kiran Bedi's (India's first woman IPS officer) television interview in which she mentioned that she was an atheist.

Here's Subhasini Ali , ex-MP:

"I have always been an atheist."

http://www.rediff.com/news/2001/aug/08inter.htm
[Image: GL_PR_ArundhatiRoy_Fig1.jpg]

Arundhati Roy - A celeb Indian atheist: http://www.celebatheists.com/?title=Arundhati_Roy
Aditya Manthramurthy
Web Administrator & Associate Editor
Nirmukta.com
Also, just noting, there are a number of famous/celeb Indian atheists right among us including Prof Narendra Nayak, Sanal Edamaruku, Adithya Helios, and many others. Finding pictures of them should be easy enough. Some from the past include Abraham Kovoor and Basava Premanand.
Aditya Manthramurthy
Web Administrator & Associate Editor
Nirmukta.com
Thanks for the responses everyone. I have picked the music for the piece, but will keep it to myself for now because I don't want to ruin it for everyone.

The images, links and quotes help a great deal. This is quite a search-intensive project, and I would like to get as much help as possible. One of the things we lack is video and audio of famous atheists, saying something that would be appropriate for the video. I have audio from Amartya Sen and video of Rushdie and Akhtar. We need as many as we can get. If you can find any audio/video clips of famous atheists, please post here. If you can isolate the relevant section and send me the file, that would be very much appreciated.

As to donatello's point that we have many in our own ranks that we can include, yes! The best part is that we have video of many of these folks...
Ajita Would dialogues by Kamal hassan from movies, on atheism - Qualify ?
(12-Oct-2010, 02:13 PM)Azad Wrote: Ajita Would dialogues by Kamal hassan from movies, on atheism - Qualify ?

Not sure... the video must be accurate in quoting the individuals, and even if we mean to just use it for effect it may have a misleading quality to it...

What did you have in mind?

BTW, the best place to start looking for famous Indian Atheists is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Indian_atheists

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Indian language subtitles for TED talks related to science, freethought and humanism arvindiyer 1 4,536 20-Nov-2013, 04:31 PM
Last Post: Nagesh_S
  Translating the 'Pale Blue Dot' to Indian languages natselrox 20 11,034 30-Jan-2011, 07:30 PM
Last Post: manju
  "Atheism in Your Words" video unsorted 0 1,519 22-Nov-2010, 09:54 PM
Last Post: unsorted
  New typography video bala 4 2,854 23-May-2010, 11:58 AM
Last Post: Sajit
  Completed typography video. bala 4 2,600 16-May-2010, 01:42 PM
Last Post: bala