Web Developers, Programmers, Designers
(17-Jun-2010, 12:01 AM)Lije Wrote:
(14-Jun-2010, 09:48 PM)donatello Wrote: I would also advocate the use of Free and Open source software, as being free thinkers we should assert our freedoms in software too!

I see that you worship Saint IGNUcius.

If I'm not wrong, Nirmukta runs on FOSS - Wordpress, MyBB on Apache web server.

Thanks donatello for your offer. I am sending you my contact info and will keep you in mind when we schedule our next online meeting. We usually talk on skype. There are a lot of great ideas and not many dedicated people to pull them off. Folks who will really help out with the work are desperately needed.

Lije, yes we're running on FOSS. Wordpress is solid and only getting better. I'm not too sure about MyBB and think we should consider switching to vbulletin or something else at some point. What do you think?
"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.
(17-Jun-2010, 05:43 AM)Ajita Kamal Wrote: Lije, yes we're running on FOSS. Wordpress is solid and only getting better. I'm not too sure about MyBB and think we should consider switching to vbulletin or something else at some point. What do you think?

I echo your thoughts about MyBB. Though I don't know about a better alternative at the moment, I think we should change to something that is more feature-full.

Here is a set of features that I think the bulletin board should have in addition to MyBB

1) The ability to see edits of posts (i.e. changes made by the author after a post/reply is submitted). I missed a few on this site. I don't think edits are highlighted, when I click the "See today's posts" link.
2) The width of text should be much lesser than here. It covers my whole screen, and when I am on a largish screen, it is not a very smooth reading experience. (Don't you guys sometimes miss a line when you go all the way to the right and then swing back left?)
3) Site theme should be a user preference, but its not a priority I guess.
4) The option for readers to vote a plus or a minus to a post to highlight simple agreement or disagreement. There seems to be a rating which is per-user on MyBB, but its not enabled I think. I have no idea what it is.

Also on this board, only two smileys per post seem to be allowed (it says only two images per post). I can understand if you are limiting images, but smileys ought not to be counted!

On the plus side, I think MyBB's nested quoting looks pretty good.

(17-Jun-2010, 12:01 AM)Lije Wrote:
(14-Jun-2010, 09:48 PM)donatello Wrote: I would also advocate the use of Free and Open source software, as being free thinkers we should assert our freedoms in software too!

I see that you worship Saint IGNUcius.

If I'm not wrong, Nirmukta runs on FOSS - Wordpress, MyBB on Apache web server.

You're spot-on about the guess that I am an avid emacs user Punk! But no, I won't really qualify into the Church of Emacs because I do have non-free s/w like Flash Sweatdrop, but hopefully that won't be for long because WebM is almost here!
Aditya Manthramurthy
Web Administrator & Associate Editor
Nirmukta.com
(17-Jun-2010, 05:43 AM)Ajita Kamal Wrote: Lije, yes we're running on FOSS. Wordpress is solid and only getting better. I'm not too sure about MyBB and think we should consider switching to vbulletin or something else at some point. What do you think?

I don't have any experience with installing and maintaining forum code. So I can't say if vBulletin is better than MyBB for our requirements. Unless maintaining MyBB (looking out for security vulnerabilities, patching with newer versions) eats up a lot of time, I would say that we should stick with it.
(17-Jun-2010, 07:32 PM)donatello Wrote: Here is a set of features that I think the bulletin board should have in addition to MyBB

1) The ability to see edits of posts (i.e. changes made by the author after a post/reply is submitted). I missed a few on this site. I don't think edits are highlighted, when I click the "See today's posts" link.
2) The width of text should be much lesser than here. It covers my whole screen, and when I am on a largish screen, it is not a very smooth reading experience. (Don't you guys sometimes miss a line when you go all the way to the right and then swing back left?)
3) Site theme should be a user preference, but its not a priority I guess.
4) The option for readers to vote a plus or a minus to a post to highlight simple agreement or disagreement. There seems to be a rating which is per-user on MyBB, but its not enabled I think. I have no idea what it is.

Also on this board, only two smileys per post seem to be allowed (it says only two images per post). I can understand if you are limiting images, but smileys ought not to be counted!

On the plus side, I think MyBB's nested quoting looks pretty good.

Donatello, I'd like your help with some of this stuff. I'm emailing you in private.
"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.