Welcome
Welcome to the Nirmukta community!

I am a skeptic based in Bangalore who tries to keep an open mind.

http://www.nirmukta.com has been a great source of learning for me and a point to meet like minded people. And I hope to continue that here smile
I am an Atheist born in Kerala, presently working in Sultanate of Oman as a Health Safety Environmental Adviser for an Oil Exploration Company. Crazy about Music, books and video games. Its my first week in Nirmukta (thanks to Sid). I think the officers and moderators are doing a great job allowing us place to share our free thoughts.

Once again thank you all. Hope I will meet and befriend lot of rationalists and free thinkers.
Hi all

Im an atheist living in New York. I'm originally from Tamil Nadu and will be moving back to India soon.

These forums are brand new and it will probably take a bit of effort on our part to keep them going until our numbers are large enough to make a difference.

Let's hope that we can bring the Indian freethought community together!
"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.
I'm from Hyderabad. I was formerly a Hindu. It took me around 5 years to completely renounce theism and embrace science and reason thanks to the books by the likes of Carl Sagan and Richard Dawkins.

Good to see a forum like this.
Noble All Here,
Humblest Greetings.

I am in 'The International School of Humanitarian Thoughts and Practice (Manavatavadi Vishwa Sansthan), Rajghat, Kurukshetra-136118, Haryana. We are in efforts to develop an Informal Research Institute on Applications on Child Psychology known as 'Kids' Kingdom Un-Orphanage' whose Foundation Stone was laid by Dr. A.R.Kidwai His Excellency Governor of Hrayana on March 22, 2006. Deviji (Sadhvi Asha Manav) has kindly accepted to hold, manage, operate and develop this Institute by collecting Alms from villagers and those who want to spare something for this cause.

We are an ever persecuted and alienated Institute of Secular Nature working here in this doubly holy town of Kurukshetra holy for Sikhs and Hindus since 1976 and our temperament is bent towards 'Realism'.

Kindly view my profile here to know more about me and my background.

Cordially,
Swamiji
Hello all,
I am an atheist presently living in Florida. (previously lived in Houston, Hyderabad, Bangalore, Agra... in decreasing chronological order)

I was born in Agra (UP) in a moderate Hindu family. And I am required to sometimes participate in some religious activities for the sake of family harmony. And I do cooperate as long as its not a super annoying activity.

Previously, I was implicitly an Atheist until one day my Father asked me for my finger prints for Naadi Astrology. I was told that these guys can tell my exact past and future. (Ofcourse its impossible to believe it.) So I started googling and landed on indiansceptic.in and found out about late Mr. Premanand. I instantly recognized that name from one of the BBC documentaries that showed Premanandji exposing a Guru's secret of levitation. I eventually contacted Mr. Narendra Nayak and felt relieved only after he confirmed me that Naadi-Astrology is fake stuff.

That was a tipping point. And I introduced myself to the world of Atheism. Google introduced me to Nirmukta.com. After a while, I felt the activist tinge in my nerves and decided to book nastik.org (I yet have to do work on it, hopefully soon).

And from there onwards I expanded my Atheist network on facebook with all of you.

I would like to thank all of you and Nirmukta for giving me the feeling that I am not alone.

Thanks to all.
Thanks for the intro, Shobhit. I didn't know about your experience with Naadi Astrology and that Prof Nayak helped you to understand what it was about.
I'm an undergrad at the University of Alberta in Edmonton. Raised in Bombay, but born in Winnipeg, I was brought up in a Hindu home, but "saw the light" of atheism a few years ago.

Nirmukta has been on my Google Reader feed for two years now (I think), and I can never get enough.
[fon‌t=Times New Roman]http://flavors.me/adityarao[/font]
Hello, I am glad to be on this forum
smile
(30-Mar-2010, 10:17 AM)aditya Wrote: I'm an undergrad at the University of Alberta in Edmonton. Raised in Bombay, but born in Winnipeg, I was brought up in a Hindu home, but "saw the light" of atheism a few years ago.

Nirmukta has been on my Google Reader feed for two years now (I think), and I can never get enough.

Hi Aditya:

I'm really glad that Nirmukta has been a good resource for you. I am also glad that you make a distinction between atheism and Hinduism, a distinction that many so-called Hindu rationalists don't seem to notice.

Please do continue to post and participate in these forums. Cheers!

(31-Mar-2010, 04:33 AM)K. P. S. Kamath Wrote: Hello, I am glad to be on this forum
smile

Dr. Kamath, welcome to the forums! We look forward to your posts! Also, thanks for accepting to moderate a couple of these forums!
(01-Apr-2010, 05:05 PM)Ajita Kamal Wrote:
(30-Mar-2010, 10:17 AM)aditya Wrote: I'm an undergrad at the University of Alberta in Edmonton. Raised in Bombay, but born in Winnipeg, I was brought up in a Hindu home, but "saw the light" of atheism a few years ago.

Hi Aditya:

I'm really glad that Nirmukta has been a good resource for you. I am also glad that you make a distinction between atheism and Hinduism, a distinction that many so-called Hindu rationalists don't seem to notice.

Please do continue to post and participate in these forums. Cheers!

(31-Mar-2010, 04:33 AM)K. P. S. Kamath Wrote: Hello, I am glad to be on this forum
smile

Dr. Kamath, welcome to the forums! We look forward to your posts! Also, thanks for accepting to moderate a couple of these forums!

Hi Ajita,

I look forward to working closely with you to further the cause you have undertaken for the benefit of humanity. It might take a whole generation for this tree to bear fruits
Hello everyone!
Found this forum through Indian Atheists in Facebook.
I'm a doctor, currently in Trivandrum. Been brought up as a Hindu, but realised that I'm an atheist at heart a few years back.
Regards.