Welcome
Welcome disbelief to Nirmukta Forum! Glad you found us.

Prabhakar
Hello all.

I am an atheist from Hyderabad, studying at IIT Kharagpur.
Agnostic for the past 10 years, Atheist for the last 5, Radical atheist for the last 2.. that was about the time I was exposed to the "New" Atheist movement, Hitchens, Dawkins, Harris, PZ, alt.atheism on Usenet.

alt.atheism led to Atheist Nexus where I came across Ajita's profile and Nirmukta.

Starting work in August at Bangalore.. would love to get more involved in the movement and work with Prof Nayak then.

Cheers
Harsha
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

http://dsriharsha.blogspot.com
Atheist from Kolkata here! Active member at RD.net and RationalSkepticism under the same username! To freethought and atheism! :cheers:
(03-Apr-2010, 07:48 PM)dsriharsha Wrote: Hello all.

I am an atheist from Hyderabad, studying at IIT Kharagpur.
Agnostic for the past 10 years, Atheist for the last 5, Radical atheist for the last 2.. that was about the time I was exposed to the "New" Atheist movement, Hitchens, Dawkins, Harris, PZ, alt.atheism on Usenet.

alt.atheism led to Atheist Nexus where I came across Ajita's profile and Nirmukta.

Starting work in August at Bangalore.. would love to get more involved in the movement and work with Prof Nayak then.

Cheers
Harsha

Hey Harsha!

Nice to see you here :-)
Hi all

I'm Trance Gemini aka Kitty Hundal, an ex-library technician and current software developer from Toronto Canada originally from Vancouver Canada.

I'm a third generation Canadian with origins from Punjab and am very happy to see the growth and development of atheistic belief systems in my homeland.

My father was an atheist, grew up in Canada and returned to India to participate in India's Freedom Fighter movement, after which he returned to Canada.

While I only speak English (and some French) and am not familiar with Indian culture, there are ties that bind and India and her history as well as what happens today in India are matters that are close to my heart and hold an interest for me.

So I thank Ajita and others here for warmly encouraging and welcoming me to participate in these exciting events.
Hello all,

I am Murthy, from bangalore, currently studying at iit kharagpur. I deconverted only a few months back when I finally found some time to explore issues that I always shelved because of their seeming obscurity, religion being one of them.

I stumbled upon works of sagan, dawkins, hitchens, randi, javed akhtar, prof nayak, ajita and nirmukta all within a span of 15-20 days. It would be fair to say Google is the biggest evangelist for atheism smile . Believe it or not, in one of my past conversations with Sriharsha (ref above), I labelled dawkins as arrogant, how mistaken I was.

I guess the most important attribute that all of us share is humility to change when presented with evidence (and in the meanwhile let's keep laughing at what seems stupid). I will also be working in bangalore from june, look forward to meet many of you.
Murthy

"Credulity kills" -- Carl Sagan
G'day people,

I'm an Aussie, and I have no links to India at all (aside from having some Indian friends and acquaintances, natselrox up there ^ being one), but I have been welcomed here as a supporter of the work you're doing and it's fantastic to see.
Nice to see you too Kitty.

@Murthy.. you've had quite a quickfire baptism to Atheism, eh? I remember you didn't want to label yourself an atheist just 3 months ago.. smile

Cheers
Harsha
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

I am glad to part of this group. In a scale of 1 to 100 with 1 being totally into theism and 100 being complete knowledge of the non-existence of a superior power, I am at about 95. The only reason I am not at 100 is the same reason Betrand Russell was not at 100.

I also feel most people we come across in our daily lives are theists only because they don't know any better. Mocking them will only make them more adamant in their delusions, which is the last thing that is good for them. Gentle reasoning is my way.

Hope to interact and exchange views.

Cheers!
(12-Apr-2010, 12:29 AM)dsriharsha Wrote: @Murthy.. you've had quite a quickfire baptism to Atheism, eh? I remember you didn't want to label yourself an atheist just 3 months ago.. smile

You were successful at proselytizing to your buddy? Nice ;)

I've mentioned many times in the past that I don't really self-identify as an 'atheist'. Beyond the socio-political implications (when going against believers and religions) the term atheist is pretty meaningless on a personal and intellectual level. But the socio-political approach is necessary as long as religions continue to exert such undue influence over our societies. So, although I am primarily a naturalistic thinker trained in the sciences, with an interest in art, music, culture and history, I will proudly wear the label 'atheist' even if the only meaning in doing so lies in our opposition to religious labels.

Edit: Hi Nara.

Welcome! I hate to start off our first conversation with a disagreement, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with something you said.

(12-Apr-2010, 06:44 AM)Nara Wrote: I also feel most people we come across in our daily lives are theists only because they don't know any better. Mocking them will only make them more adamant in their delusions, which is the last thing that is good for them. Gentle reasoning is my way.

Mocking religious believers is a great way to get them to question their religious beliefs, and is today much more powerful at propagating atheism than gentle reasoning I do however, agree that a small minority of believers are actually capable of reasoning their way into atheism. The trick lies in adopting a pluralistic, multi-pronged strategy. There is no one way about it. Your way is gentle reasoning, but you seriously cannot deny that Sam Harris and Christopher Hitchens have converted more people into atheism using ridicule and mockery of absurd and dangerous religious beliefs than anyone using "gentle reasoning" alone.

Each strategy has a role, and they are all complementary. If atheists had just used gentle reasoning, we wouldn't have an atheist movement today. Gentle reasoning is one of the tools that we have to spread reason, but there are more effective ones that apply in different circumstances to fulfill other strategic and social goals.
"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.
(12-Apr-2010, 06:56 AM)Ajita Kamal Wrote:
(12-Apr-2010, 12:29 AM)dsriharsha Wrote: @Murthy.. you've had quite a quickfire baptism to Atheism, eh? I remember you didn't want to label yourself an atheist just 3 months ago.. smile

You were successful at proselytizing to your buddy? Nice ;)

There was no proselytizing on my part.. I am in fact against proselytizing.. people should come to their senses themselves(some gentle prodding is acceptable though)

helloo fellow atheists,
this is ravi...born and brought up in a moderate town in Andhra and currently living/ working in pune. Before turning into a total atheist about an year and half ago, I used to believe feverishly in Hinduism, science in vedas and other such things (although I was quite skeptical about personal god). I used to defend Hinduism heavily and argue that Vedas consist of all the knowledge and then slowly I realized that every other religion is claiming to have the knowledge of entire Universe too. So I did some more research and eventually stumbled up on Richard Dawkins and read/ watched most of his works and made me realize the kind of delusion/ dogma that I'm living in. I started questioning all of my beliefs and tried to find answers and most of my beliefs turned out to be quite irrational. After lot of reading and finding no evidence of any God, I finally turned atheist and I feel so happy and free now. I understand now that you don't need God to be good/ moral. I understand that you can't rely on 2000 year old books for every answer.

I just want to say one more thing before submitting this post: the best thing happened to me after turning atheist is I told my Dad that I've turned to atheist and don't believe in God now and explained to him why I've chosen atheism. He listened patiently to all the things and finally said 'But what took you 24 years to realize that there's no God??' and I was like " I love you dad...YOU ARE THE BEST"...Big Grin

so that's my story in short. I'm here basically because this is the only indian atheist community which seems to be constantly publishing new articles and making active discussions.
cheers,
ravi.