Welcome
Born a Catholic. Raised (very!) religious. Became an agnostic in my late 20s and turned atheist in my late 30s. A journalist/ writer, I live in Bangalore.
(17-Apr-2010, 06:28 PM)jotter Wrote: Born a Catholic. Raised (very!) religious. Became an agnostic in my late 20s and turned atheist in my late 30s. A journalist/ writer, I live in Bangalore.
Welcome to Nirmukta smile
(17-Apr-2010, 06:28 PM)jotter Wrote: Born a Catholic. Raised (very!) religious. Became an agnostic in my late 20s and turned atheist in my late 30s. A journalist/ writer, I live in Bangalore.

Welcome, Jotter smile

It is very refreshing to meet freethinking journalists. We are putting together a team of writers/journalists/webdesigners and all sorts of people who work with media, as part of a Freethought Media Network in India. Nothing official yet, just a loose alliance. We would love to have you on our team!

Please send me a PM or an email if you're interested Exclamation
"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.
(17-Apr-2010, 12:00 PM)Ajita Kamal Wrote: Hi Kevin! Welcome to the Nirmukta Community forums Big Grin

Thank you for the warm welcome... unfortunately, if I don't get an email prompt that I have had a response to my posting, I forget about it. I came back to see posters done by Bala that are being discussed by some atheist friends on Facebook.

Quote:This is a very powerful story. Few people become atheists at your age, at least in my experience. Its also unusual that the path you took that brought you to atheism and humanism was vegetarianism! I don't think I've ever heard of anyone whose conversion process towards atheism was initiated because of a change in diet...

This was one of a few things that came together at the same time... the others being getting VERY involved with the church and Knights of Columbus during the Papal visit to Toronto for the World Youth Day 2002 and the arrogance of our parish priest who, until that time, I considered to be a genuine friend.

Quote:I am the outgoing president of the Halton-Peel Humanist Community, a regional affiliate of the Humanist Association of Canada, to which I recently was elected as the regional director for Southern Ontario.

Please do visit the Humanism forum here and post a thread to let us know more about humanism. It would be nice to see some discussion on Humanism in the Indian context being discussed in these forums.
[/quote]

I will do my best. I will check my User CP FAQ on how to turn on email notifications to my postings.

Thanks

Kevin
ps. oh.. I see it below...
Hey hey! I'm Jennifer. A 20 year old atheist who is still finding out where she stands. I guess it's a journey. A journey that hopefully leads me to doing something good with what I do believe in. I don't consider myself an activist because I'm kind of a "chicken shit". I could ramble on here but I should save that for all the discussions I'm hoping to have. smile
Hi Jennifer! I'm glad you joined us heresmile

You don't sound too chicken shit to me. You're here with a bunch of other atheists and freethinkers. It's not always about activism, sometimes its about just hanging out, right?

I look forward to those discussions!
(23-Apr-2010, 04:07 PM)palaeo Wrote: Hey hey! I'm Jennifer. A 20 year old atheist who is still finding out where she stands. I guess it's a journey. A journey that hopefully leads me to doing something good with what I do believe in. I don't consider myself an activist because I'm kind of a "chicken shit". I could ramble on here but I should save that for all the discussions I'm hoping to have. smile
Welcome Jennifer! Your have your work cut out for you. smile Don't be down on yourself. You are exactly the kind of persons we are looking for.

Prabhakar
This is Manjunatha from Hyderabad (native of Mangalore). Hello to all!
Welcome aboard Manju. Start writing!!!
(27-Apr-2010, 04:20 PM)manju Wrote: This is Manjunatha from Hyderabad (native of Mangalore). Hello to all!

Hi Manju, welcome to the community! It's nice to meet another rationalist from Mangalore Thumbup
(23-Apr-2010, 04:07 PM)palaeo Wrote: Hey hey! I'm Jennifer. A 20 year old atheist who is still finding out where she stands. I guess it's a journey. A journey that hopefully leads me to doing something good with what I do believe in. I don't consider myself an activist because I'm kind of a "chicken shit". I could ramble on here but I should save that for all the discussions I'm hoping to have. smile

Most 20 year olds don't even have the intent to think like you. I can tell you that you are no chicken shit ! And I doubt any of us here are radical and foaming in the mouth atheists.Nor do we claim to have all the answers. Our beliefs are based on empirical evidence, that's all. Great to have you on board.Thumbup