Welcome
(27-Apr-2010, 04:20 PM)manju Wrote: This is Manjunatha from Hyderabad (native of Mangalore). Hello to all!

Welcome aboard Thumbup
Thank you for the welcome!
Hello All,

I am Subodh. I have lived in various places in India and presently living in bangalore. Since my early teens I considered myself agnostic/apathetic (thought that the issue of god and religion was not worth giving much thought to as it was pretty obvious) . Over the last decade the rise in violence (terrorist and communal) in the name of religion bothered me a lot. Also the general atmosphere of superstitions and resulting misery irked me. With these botherations on my mind, just a year back I came across Richard Dawkins' call to take a firm stance against the nonsense that was killing people and spreading fear the world over and was captivated. Then (thanks to the internet and youtube) became aware of the worldwide movement for atheism and the many people involved with it. I am really glad to find that such a group is forming in India. I hope we can all share our ideas, and work towards a better tomorrow.

Regards
Subodh
This is an introduction long overdue. I am Siddharth and currently living in Delhi. I am a graduate in economics from Delhi Uni, and now looking at doing my masters starting September.

I had always been skeptical of supernatural claims, and often reasoned out by myself on more rational, natural causes of several phenomenon. Too bad there was no Google back then.

While I have lived in the city all my life, my extended family still lives in a village in Rajasthan and I would see the adverse impact of religion every summer when I visited. People were treated unequally, people believed in witch doctors etc. It was frustrating and opened my eyes. Even today, the villagers there think, for example, that solar eclipses are caused because "god is angry"!

My string of experiences there are long, and I'd like to discuss them over time in this forum. I also have many questions that are unanswered, and hopefully fellow members will help me exploring rational explanations.

Happy thinking!
(07-May-2010, 12:31 PM)subodh Wrote: Hello All,

I am Subodh. I have lived in various places in India and presently living in bangalore. Since my early teens I considered myself agnostic/apathetic (thought that the issue of god and religion was not worth giving much thought to as it was pretty obvious) . Over the last decade the rise in violence (terrorist and communal) in the name of religion bothered me a lot. Also the general atmosphere of superstitions and resulting misery irked me. With these botherations on my mind, just a year back I came across Richard Dawkins' call to take a firm stance against the nonsense that was killing people and spreading fear the world over and was captivated. Then (thanks to the internet and youtube) became aware of the worldwide movement for atheism and the many people involved with it. I am really glad to find that such a group is forming in India. I hope we can all share our ideas, and work towards a better tomorrow.

Regards
Subodh

Welcome to Nirmukta Subodh!! Yes, the internet is such a great place to meet like minded people. That's how I found this place. Now I'm hooked :P
Hi Gentlemen,
Very happy to bump into Nirmukta (from Richard Dawkins' site a couple of months ago). There seems to be a treasure trove of articles here tracing the historical origins of Hinduism, and I am looking forward to reading it up and understanding how we got to where we are today. Thanks to the writers in advance. I am a keen follower of RD and the atheist blogs pharyngula, and am happy to add nirmukta to my daily reading. Astronomy and Evolution are my favourite science subjects, and I recently ran into the skeptic and New Atheist movements soon.

I live in New Jersey now, have been uninterested in Hinduism ever since I was small, but accompanied my mother on many of her religious trips to distant temples, and it was very frustrating. She would get all kinds of poojas/yagnas performed for my well being (after some tragic death in the family). They seemed so meaningless, but I played along for a while. After so many years, now my mother has started wondering about her religious practices too..but its still very early days.

Isnt it shocking how religion drives our day to day life in India?? Each and every (well.. almost) person keeps chanting/praying a lot of the time, and whereever I see, I see the stamp of religion. Its mind boggling to me. At least in the US, its not as all-encompassing, although even more extreme fundamentalism exists.

I am happy to join this journey with the rest of you. For me, athiesm is only an intermediate step. My long term wish is for society to realize how very special the earth is in harbouring life, and take strong measures and sacrifices for the well being and continuation of the flora and fauna. As Carl sagan says in his 'Pale Blue Dot' speech, there is no evidence of anything outside of this pale blue dot coming to help this planet. Its not just the well being of humans that we need to worry about, its the well being of this wonderful and precious earth.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has - Margaret Mead
Welcome home, Astrokid.nj! You will find many a kindred spirit in these pages yearning to liberate more people from the prison of the mind! Now, we count on you to make contributions to these pages as well as Nirmukta.com/ So start dreaming!

Prabhakar Kamath
Hi, astrokid.nj!
Nice reading your introduction. Welcome, and make yourself at home. Cheers!
Hey astrokid.nj, welcome aboard. Interesting story, you have.

To pick up on that part about your mother's faith, i'ts a lot harder for the older generation to let go of their rituals. Those meaningless practices bring them so much comfort. But there are many many cases where people have found reason late in life.

I think Sagan's Pale Blue Dot clip should be mandatory watching for anyone wishing to get inducted into the community! I'm going to propose that we discuss that, in a new thread!

(One small slip-up in your introduction- you forgot to acknowledge the ladies Eek )
"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.
Hello people
i am posting innovatibe teaching methods in the human innovation section please do visit then and give all of your valuable suggestions
(12-May-2010, 03:58 PM)Ajita Kamal Wrote: (One small slip-up in your introduction- you forgot to acknowledge the ladies Eek )

:-)
Good point Ajita.. My belated acknowledgement to the ladies out here as well. I was quite happy to read a few introductory posts from the women here.

As an aside, I am actually "hunting" for a partner in my personal life, and in general I shut the hell up with regard to atheism in that endeavour. Otherwise I get kicked out early :-)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has - Margaret Mead
(12-May-2010, 08:08 PM)astrokid.nj Wrote: I was quite happy to read a few introductory posts from the women here.

As an aside, I am actually "hunting" for a partner in my personal life, and in general I shut the hell up with regard to atheism in that endeavour. Otherwise I get kicked out early :-)

Don't we all Rolleyes

One of the things we should do is change this general problem with respect to Indian Freethought. There is no reason why Indian Freethinkers should not be able to find partners who are compatible with each other in this very important aspect of our lives.

But in general, women are an equal and essential part of the Freethought movement. This is important because when the community of Freethinkers in India create social and cultural alternatives, women must have equal representation in all aspects of this new society. We must not repeat the terrible injustices inflicted on India by those who used religious edicts to shut out large groups of human beings from having any voice in society.
"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.