Welcome
Maybe there can be a dating thread. Devil2
Community.. Check
Atheist.. Check
Indian... Check

What The... How did this happen

BTW this is a very relieved Varun [from up North, Shimla to be precise smile], relieved 'coz well being Atheist/Skeptic and Indian just don't mix, its almost genetic, to use the nonsensical overused typical Indian cliché smile
There are no atheists over here, not any that i know of at least, its pretty pathetic. I hope this forum get more like minded people who are in this country (and abroad but esp i would like to see fellow Indians) Last time i bothered i found some research that said less than 1 % of Indian population call themselves Athesits or non beleivers, scary and alarming figure.

Sorry for the long hello post, just got too excited seeing there are people like this in India who actually bother to expres.
Welcome to our group Varun! We count on you to contribute your views and opinions to the group and enrich us all!

Prabhakar
Hey Varun!

No sorries, mate. The longer the introduction, the better! smile

This forum isn't very old. The numbers are steadily increasing.

And 1% of the population translates to more than a crore Indians. We'd love to have a fraction of that pie here and take reason and rationality forward.

See you around. Cheers mate.
(16-May-2010, 07:50 AM)Varun Wrote: Community.. Check
Atheist.. Check
Indian... Check

What The... How did this happen

BTW this is a very relieved Varun [from up North, Shimla to be precise smile], relieved 'coz well being Atheist/Skeptic and Indian just don't mix, its almost genetic, to use the nonsensical overused typical Indian cliché smile
There are no atheists over here, not any that i know of at least, its pretty pathetic. I hope this forum get more like minded people who are in this country (and abroad but esp i would like to see fellow Indians) Last time i bothered i found some research that said less than 1 % of Indian population call themselves Athesits or non beleivers, scary and alarming figure.

Sorry for the long hello post, just got too excited seeing there are people like this in India who actually bother to expres.

Hi Varun!
smile

Welcome aboard. Believe me when I say I understand exactly how you feel. Even after working with the team here for over a year, I still get super excited every time I see a new atheist/skeptic/rationalist....

Shimla is a beautiful place. Too bad there is so much irrational thinking among the people. It's practically the same all over India. Which is why it's a great thing to get together with this gang right here.

Like Sid said, we are fairly new- less than 2 months old. But this is a wonderful community. You will meet and get to know some really fantastic people here. And don't feel sorry about the length of your introduction. In fact, the longer the better! Look around and join the conversations..

Cheers!
Ajita
"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.
Hi
I am Raj from Bangkok- have stood in awe at the mysteries this beautiful planet ha sin store for us. I have not changed yet. I have a religion. A performer of Barathnatyam and a teacher of English literature, i am always inspired by the other side of the hedge....I am waiting to see what i become...right now i am happy to be here...thanks to adithya and Sajit
Hi all,

I'm shrihara from Bangalore, I'm mechanical engineer working in a software company.

I lost belief in God when I was 12! I did not believe in worshiping God, although I used to pray God only to get out of trouble. I was unaware of the word "atheist" at that time.

When I was in high school, I used to watch a Kannada TV serial "Devru Devru" (God, God) by Phani Ramachandra regularly for first few months. It was a serial in which two best friends, one was atheist and the other was highly religious, superstitious theist, arguing on everything that happens in their life. I remember one scene from first episode in which these two friends will be walking on the road and stumble upon a broken Ash Gourd with kumkum all over it and a broken coconut with water inside it. The theist guy will say, "stop, do not cross it because the evil was removed by praying it and the evil will get into you if you walk across it". The atheist guy challenges him and jumps repeatedly across the ash ground, he gets a bit exaggerated and drinks the water inside the coconut. Later that night, the atheist guy falls ill (I was surprised that theist might be correct). The atheist guy will call a doctor home while his theist friend calls a "Mantravadi" (Godman). Funnily, both doctor and godman arrive at same time and start arguing at each other. Seeing the fight between doctor and godman, the sick atheist decides to take both medicine from doctor and whatever the godman gives. The godman asks him to drink some non-sense red colored drink while the doctor, after examining, says that he has got cholera. The doctor gives him an injection and tells the atheist that to stop worrying about godman-drink and gives some antibiotics for that. Next day, the atheist had recovered and his friend argues that he fell sick because he jumped across ashground and godman cured it, but the atheist denies saying it was cholera. There were such incidents throughout the serial and in all of them, I was pretty much convinced that atheist arguments were correct. This made me to think like skeptic and I found out that all that these godmen say or do are unscientific.

I stopped watching the serial due to exams, but it was not atheistic serial. Later, God will start talking to the atheist in his mind and starts answering his questions. I wish to watch that again now.

I never knew that they are many atheists like me till I saw atheist group on facebook. Then I came across Richard Dawkins, Hitchens, Sam Harris, Michael chermer, skeptic society, BBC documentaries about disbeliefs, evolution and many videos on youtube. Then I saw Indian atheists page, I saw about Nirmukta over there. This was much needed in Indian society where irrational beliefs, delusions and superstitions rule.
Srihara,
That was quite a story! Very interesting indeed. Welcome to the community!
Cheers,
Sid
(18-May-2010, 12:10 AM)rajesh.dreamzzunlimited Wrote: Hi
I am Raj from Bangkok- have stood in awe at the mysteries this beautiful planet ha sin store for us. I have not changed yet. I have a religion. A performer of Barathnatyam and a teacher of English literature, i am always inspired by the other side of the hedge....I am waiting to see what i become...right now i am happy to be here...thanks to adithya and Sajit

Hi Raj, nice to have someone from Bangkok here on the forums.
Srihara, welcome to the forums.

I enjoy your contributions on facebook and I'm sure you will be a valuable addition to the team!

Your story is fascinating. It just goes to show how amazing the young brain is. Society tries hard to brainwash us into accepting these silly superstitions, but just a little bit of questioning and all those superstitions are garbage! Your experience gives me some good ideas on how we can publicize freethought without getting confrontational. What is amazing is that even when the show was actually a religious show, just being exposed to someone who questioned the superstitions and presented scientific explanations makes us think outside of our comfort zone. this is the first step in getting rid of our biases.

Congratulations of your awesome journey. Do continue to participate in the discussions and help build a community of freethinkers in India!

Ajita
I am Anand Nair. I have been active in the Brights-India Group (brights-india@googlegroups.com) for the past several years.

I have also contributed to spread the rationalist message through my blog at sulekha.com, which can be viewed at http://anandnair.sulekha.com/blog/posts.htm
(26-May-2010, 03:50 PM)asnair Wrote: I am Anand Nair. I have been active in the Brights-India Group (brights-india@googlegroups.com) for the past several years.

I have also contributed to spread the rationalist message through my blog at sulekha.com, which can be viewed at http://anandnair.sulekha.com/blog/posts.htm

Hi Anand, welcome to the forums! It is good to have a veteran like you!