Welcome
Hi Anand! It's a pleasure to meet you. Hope to get to know you better and combine our efforts to take the movement forward.
Cheers!
Hi everyone,

I was born in Bangalore and brought up in Toronto and moved back to India two years ago.

I always hated atheists from when i was young, starting from the time i found out my best friend was one. Growing up up in a Hindu family made me look at all atheists and freethinkers as disgusting and miserable sections of society that had chosen the "wrong path" in life.

Looking back, I realized I saw all atheists in such a way because my mind had been conditioned to do just that by religion.

Luckily my parents aren't extremely religious and never forced religion on me. I think thats why I found myself to think rationally later on.

After i moved back I hated all the pujas and rituals my extended family did and found found myself questioning all the insane bulls**t. Wanting to find out more I googled "atheist". After many hours of reading I knew deep down that they were right. It took me a few months to accept that there was no God. After reading the God Delusion a year ago I was convinced.

I thought (naively) there were almost no atheists in India.
But I finally found Nirmukta and the Indian Rationalist community with it, and have been a regular reader from the past 6 months.

m currently studying in 11th, and aiming @ med school later on.

regards
~ Prateek.
Atheism is more like a child going to bed, never thinking of the imaginary monster again.[/size]
Hi Prateek welcome aboard! Its wonderful have young people like you here. Look forward to your posts.
Hi Prateek!

The internet has done wonders has it not! :)

I wished I had google back when I was curious about things (I'm not much older than you, by the way). Luckily my dad is an avid reader so I had many books at home where I could look for answers.

Nice having you around. Looking forward to discussing issues with you.

Sid.
Hello, I am Aditya from Chennai. I am almost done with masters in Computer Science in Bangalore now. I will soon be joining a software job.
I have been an atheist right from when I was around 13 years old. I was initially moved to atheism because of the miserable condition the world is in (wars, disease, indifference to suffering, etc), and later in my teen years, my atheism was strengthened because of the comical nature in which all religions fought for public attention. In last year or so, I have become a huge fan of Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens and Sam Harris. Then, I discovered Nirmukta and the wonderful work of Prof Narendra Nayak. I would love to do what I can to help take the movement forward!
Aditya Manthramurthy
Web Administrator & Associate Editor
Nirmukta.com
(13-Jun-2010, 11:43 PM)donatello Wrote: Hello, I am Aditya from Chennai. I am almost done with masters in Computer Science in Bangalore now. I will soon be joining a software job.
I have been an atheist right from when I was around 13 years old. I was initially moved to atheism because of the miserable condition the world is in (wars, disease, indifference to suffering, etc), and later in my teen years, my atheism was strengthened because of the comical nature in which all religions fought for public attention. In last year or so, I have become a huge fan of Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens and Sam Harris. Then, I discovered Nirmukta and the wonderful work of Prof Narendra Nayak. I would love to do what I can to help take the movement forward!

Hi Aditya, welcome to the group. It's nice to see more young people like you getting involved. Please do join us on facebook in the Nirmukta group as well as the Indian Atheists group, if you haven't already. At the moment Nirmukta is just involved in online activism, but we are very keen on building an on-ground network of young atheists and freethinkers, starting with the major cities. We are just under 2 years old. But Prof. Nayak has been doing his work with FIRA, and before FIRA with Premanand, for 3 decades. It just goes to show how much work we have ahead of us, if the work of people like Prof Nayak is going unnoticed by the mainstream.

Promoting the work of Prof Nayak and FIRA is a main focus for us at the moment, but as you know we are also getting Nirmukta registered as a non-profit organization, with the goal of bringing a management-oriented approach to promoting freethought in India.

Hopefully someday we will have our own Hitchens or Dawkins from India.
"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.
Have not been active on this hopefully now onwards will be active. My work takes too much time and the travels are killing. if I have something for all I usually make a writeup and post it on nirmukta web site.
This thread is now closed. All new introduction threads must be created anew.
"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.