Welcome
Smile 
Hi fellow skeptics and free thinkers,

I am an atheist born and currently still residing in South Africa. I maintain a blog dedicated to atheism, critical thinking, free thought and politics.

Please feel free to learn more about how I think and what's on my mind at Lenny Says (http://lennymaysay.wordpress.com/)

Cheers for now

Lenny
(12-Apr-2010, 06:56 AM)Ajita Kamal Wrote: Edit: Hi Nara.

Welcome! I hate to start off our first conversation with a disagreement, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with something you said.

Hi Ajita, I welcome disagreement, that is the only way to have interesting and fruitful discussion. Mutual appreciation society is a boring one for me.

I just love reading Hitchens, I love listening to him, and I certainly do not want him to change his style at all. But I doubt whether his style can change anyone's mind. Rational and unemotional logic will make people think. I prefer non-polemical books like The Selfish Gene, How Mind Works, and Consciousness Explained.

On one count I do agree we need at least a few Hitchens who will stand up and push these bullies back. I have been in the midst of some of them berating me.

Cheers!
(12-Apr-2010, 03:43 PM)dsriharsha Wrote:
(12-Apr-2010, 06:56 AM)Ajita Kamal Wrote:
(12-Apr-2010, 12:29 AM)dsriharsha Wrote: @Murthy.. you've had quite a quickfire baptism to Atheism, eh? I remember you didn't want to label yourself an atheist just 3 months ago.. smile

You were successful at proselytizing to your buddy? Nice ;)

There was no proselytizing on my part.. I am in fact against proselytizing.. people should come to their senses themselves(some gentle prodding is acceptable though)

Actually, I am very pro-proselytizing, but I often don't have the stomach to do it. Which is why I started Nirmukta.

If I had a friend who was a Christian and s/he truly believed that I am going to hell, how is that person my friend if s/he does not even try to "save" me?

Of course, when we talk about proselytizing in the atheist context we are talking about spreading ideas about reason and science to people we care about. If I didn't care about my fellow humans, I would not give a shit what they believed in (with the self-centered caveat that their beliefs do not affect me).

Proselytizing is how society evolves. It is a a vital cultural tool. It is not whether or not we proselytize that separates us from believers. It is the fact that we spread good ideas validated by evidence, and that they spread nonsense, that does. Bad ideas are like parasites that hitch rides on the cultural tools that we humans have evolved to create functional social groups. It makes no sense to throw away the tools themselves, since they are absolutely necessary to maintain our cultural coherency, our sense of general well-being and our entire social framework.

Here is the amazing Penn Jillette:

URL first: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owZc3Xq8obk

"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.
(03-Apr-2010, 06:27 PM)disbelief76 Wrote: Hello everyone!
Found this forum through Indian Atheists in Facebook.
I'm a doctor, currently in Trivandrum. Been brought up as a Hindu, but realised that I'm an atheist at heart a few years back.
Regards.

Welcome aboard. Always nice to know a Physician who is an atheist. It is worrisome when some doctors bring god into the operation theatre.
Penn and Teller DVDs along with Michael Shermer's skeptic magazine and books got me started back in the year 2000 smile
Hello all,

Am I the only female atheist here? Hope not!

I''ve always questioned and dismissed supernatural beliefs since my childhood. So, I grew up not believing in ghosts and asking if there really was a god. My Dad asked me to read Darwin's ''Origin of Species'' when I was 14 and there was no looking back. Mom was very superstitious and ritualistic so I was always pressurised to conform and lead a torturous social life...same elsewhere too - at school, college or work. It was socially stifling to be an atheist in India back then. I became a recluse as I did not come across any free-thinking persons. I am middle-aged now and looking forward to connecting with fellow atheists from India and working towards promoting rationalism despite the socio-political issues that are peculiar to this region.

Swati, India.
(14-Apr-2010, 10:31 AM)Swati Wrote: Hello all,

I''ve always questioned and dismissed supernatural beliefs since my childhood. So, I grew up not believing in ghosts and asking if there really was a god. My Dad asked me to read Darwin's ''Origin of Species'' when I was 14 and there was no looking back. Mom was very superstitious and ritualistic so I was always pressurised to conform and lead a torturous social life...same elsewhere too - at school, college or work. It was socially stifling to be an atheist in India back then. I became a recluse as I did not come across any free-thinking persons. I am middle-aged now and looking forward to connecting with fellow atheists from India and working towards promoting rationalism despite the socio-political issues that are peculiar to this region.

Swati, India.

Welcome Swati, great to have you here! You are lucky to have a wise father. Not many kids have even heard of the origin of species at 14 leave alone read it !
Hi Lennymaysay, welcome! Nice to see someone from SA here. Checked out your blog. Loved the story about the guy in Canada who changed his name to 'God' :P

Swati, welcome to the forums! It is always the best thing when parents encourage freethought. My story is pretty similar, at least the first part ;) My earliest memories with my dad are of thumbing through stacks of books on natural history, watching David Attenborough documentaries and many hours of footage of the wonders of the Amazon jungles. My mom is religious, but she doesn't preach to me anymore.

There are at least 4 other women here. Please request trancegemini or egotwist for the password to the women's forum.

It probably is still socially stifling to be an outspoken atheist in India, although not to the extent it must have been before the internet. Its nice to have you here!
(14-Apr-2010, 01:42 PM)Sajit Wrote:
(14-Apr-2010, 10:31 AM)Swati Wrote: Hello all,

Swati, India.

Welcome Swati, great to have you here! You are lucky to have a wise father. Not many kids have even heard of the origin of species at 14 leave alone read it !

Thanks Sajit. Yes, it was great that when I asked my father whether there really was a god, he said ''no'' in a matter of fact manner.
(14-Apr-2010, 03:38 PM)Ajita Kamal Wrote: Hi Lennymaysay, welcome! Nice to see someone from SA here. Checked out your blog. Loved the story about the guy in Canada who changed his name to 'God' :P

Swati, welcome to the forums! It is always the best thing when parents encourage freethought. My story is pretty similar, at least the first part ;) My earliest memories with my dad are of thumbing through stacks of books on natural history, watching David Attenborough documentaries and many hours of footage of the wonders of the Amazon jungles. My mom is religious, but she doesn't preach to me anymore.

There are at least 4 other women here. Please request trancegemini or egotwist for the password to the women's forum.

It probably is still socially stifling to be an outspoken atheist in India, although not to the extent it must have been before the internet. Its nice to have you here!

Thanks Ajita. Nice to meet you here. So glad to have found this forum and yes, the pre-internet days were awful. Thanks for the directions to the women's forum.
Hi all,

although I have been a member of Nirmukta for a month or so, I was encouraged to join the forum by Ajit Kamal on the Atheist Nexus forum.

I have updated my bio to include the following link which describes my deconversion in brief.
http://www.hsus.org/animals_religion/fra...12907.html

I am the outgoing president of the Halton-Peel Humanist Community, a regional affiliate of the Humanist Association of Canada, to which I recently was elected as the regional director for Southern Ontario.

Coming from a Goan Catholic background, my childhood was steeped in Catholicism which had a firm grip on my psyche until relatively recently. However, a dietary change to vegetarianism pitted my evolutionary knowledge with my religious belief and the rest is history.

Thanks for this forum.

Kevin Saldanha
ps. my goal in life is to be that atheist 'uncle' that I never had smile
Hi Kevin! Welcome to the Nirmukta Community forums Big Grin

(17-Apr-2010, 04:40 AM)Kevin Saldanha Wrote: Hi all,

I have updated my bio to include the following link which describes my deconversion in brief.
http://www.hsus.org/animals_religion/fra...12907.html

This is a very powerful story. Few people become atheists at your age, at least in my experience. Its also unusual that the path you took that brought you to atheism and humanism was vegetarianism! I don't think I've ever heard of anyone whose conversion process towards atheism was initiated because of a change in diet...;)

Quote:I am the outgoing president of the Halton-Peel Humanist Community, a regional affiliate of the Humanist Association of Canada, to which I recently was elected as the regional director for Southern Ontario.

Please do visit the Humanism forum here and post a thread to let us know more about humanism. It would be nice to see some discussion on Humanism in the Indian context being discussed in these forums.