Current time: 24-04-2014, 11:41 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Why do Hindus eat vegetarian on Tuesdays?
siddharth Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 19

Why do Hindus eat vegetarian on Tuesdays?

Some Hindus eat only vegetarian food on Tuesdays and Thursdays. They claim it is because those are the days they visit temples.

So my question is this: isn't the 7 day week with the Tuesdays and Wednesdays an import from the West? Probably brought in by the British? Was the 7 day week also a feature of the Hindu calender? If yes, then do the days correspond to the roman calender? If it is a western import, then it would show that it isn't an ancient practice and only a neo Hindu practice.

I ask the questions due to a lack of knowledge about this and not for rhetorical purposes. Can anyone enlighten me on this?
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Lije Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 254

RE: Why do Hindus eat vegetarian on Tuesdays?

These customs again vary depending on region. From the part where I come from (AP), it is Thursday (associated with Sai Baba) and Saturday (associated with Venkateshwara) on which hindus abstain from eating meat.

The Thursday thing is recent as Sai Baba lived in the late 19th and early 20th century. I'm not sure of the origin of the practice for days.
Lije Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 254

To add my previous post, as with the "kuch bhi chalta hai" (anything goes) attitude that is part of the Indian culture, any belief as long as it is associated with some God or ritual is acceptable. Go through this blog post and its comments to see what each day of the week is supposed to signify.
K. P. S. Kamath Offline

Likes Given: 0

Lije, The Hindu Blog is an excellent blog -just in case someone wants to go back to the dark ages. smile
siddharth Offline
Administrator

Thanks for the reply. It is true Hindu practices vary a lot and are functions of the geography. I mentioned the days in regard to the practices in Delhi and the surrounding region.

That blog post and site is intersting. Good collection of irrational practices. Saves us the sweat :P
shrihara Offline
Addicted to Freethought

Likes Given: 15

Wink RE: Why do Hindus eat vegetarian on Tuesdays?

(09-05-2010 03:20 PM)Lije Wrote:  Go through this blog post and its comments to see what each day of the week is supposed to signify.

Hahaha funny blog, people are fighting over Gods like children.

I don't know when this Vaasara (week) concept was started in India. I think that Hindu calender is based on lunar movement & has no concept of weeks, but fortnights of 15 days.

Majority of them refuse non-veg on Monday because of some Shiva Pooja.
In UK, they have started "Meat-free Mondays". Are they influenced by Indian Hindus?

Quote:Eating more vegetables is not only great for your health but also good for the planet too! UN’s top climate scientist Rajendra Pachauri states that “People should consider eating less meat as a way of combating global warming. UN figures suggest that meat production puts more greenhouse gases into the atmosphere than transport.”
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2010 01:00 PM by shrihara.)
Varun Offline
Addicted to Freethought

Quote:Eating more vegetables is not only great for your health but also good for the planet too! UN’s top climate scientist Rajendra Pachauri states that “People should consider eating less meat as a way of combating global warming. UN figures suggest that meat production puts more greenhouse gases into the atmosphere than transport.”
[/quote]

I propose banning this transport menace.

Also, if we really were serious every day of the year there is some sort of holy day in some part of the country, it should be holidays year round.

|God is Dead|
espinosa Offline
Nirmukt Noobie

Hindu gurus had known all the time. In the costume of a religious tradition, they repeated this system. Tuesday is more common because a lot of good pray God Hanuman. Then there are other days of the week devoted to other gods. It is a way of showing respect to God and to keep fit physically and mentally.

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself
siddharth Offline
Administrator

Quote:Hindu gurus had known all the time. In the costume of a religious tradition, they repeated this system. Tuesday is more common because a lot of good pray God Hanuman. Then there are other days of the week devoted to other gods. It is a way of showing respect to God and to keep fit physically and mentally.

How does fasting in any way "show respect" to "god" and keep people physically and mentally fit?
donatello Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 75

(02-08-2010 10:37 AM)espinosa Wrote:  Hindu gurus had known all the time. In the costume of a religious tradition, they repeated this system. Tuesday is more common because a lot of good pray God Hanuman. Then there are other days of the week devoted to other gods. It is a way of showing respect to God and to keep fit physically and mentally.

Your attempt to clear up the mystery by saying that Hindu gurus "knew all the time" does not in effect say anything, other than that you have no idea either. It does not help clear up why it has anything to do with a western calendar system. The question, I think has to do with if it is a rational practice, starting from some irrational premises tongue, or if it is in "holy" scripture.

@siddharth: I think you do get the "reason", for why praying/fasting is for showing "respect to god". It's found in many religions. God is against materialistic living! God expects a life of penance and slaving devotion to himself/herself of course! IMO, that bit is from a rational conclusion from the irrational premise that, man is made from dirt/sin (Judeo-Christian) or that we should live a life of penance for "crimes" in the "past life", and be in slaving devotion to the "supreme being" (Hinduism).

Aditya Manthramurthy
Web Administrator & Associate Editor
Nirmukta.com
manju Offline
Addicted to Freethought

Likes Given: 12

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_langur

Hanuman belongs to the family of monkeys that are traditionally vegetarian. So, it certainly makes sense! Hanuman like them was a Frugivore.

Manju Vadiarillat
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2010 03:34 PM by manju.)
apatil Offline
Nirmukt Noobie

So does anyone know why specific days came to be associated with specific deities? Is it in the scriptures or is it something that just showed up. Knowing the background is helpful sometimes.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)