Current time: 20-12-2014, 10:34 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Why is eating beef prohibited in Hinduism?
arvindiyer Offline
Veteran of Freethought

Likes Given: 165
Likes Rcvd: 588 in 312 posts

RE: Why is eating beef prohibited in Hinduism?

(26-02-2011 01:42 PM)aarun Wrote:  This is because in Hinduism one has a right to question everything and one can start his spiritual journey by believeing in no God.

Really? When then does Shraddha (unwavering faith in scripture that is undeniably theistic) feature among the Vedantic tradition's non-negotiable pre-requisites as formalized in Saadhana Chatushtayam?
Why then does Ishwara Pranidhana (surrender to God) feature in the list of Niyamas in the Patanjali Yoga system?

(26-02-2011 01:42 PM)aarun Wrote:  Of these, the Cow is at the highest level of evolution in the animal kingdom and fit to evolve as a human in its next birth.

If you had bothered to source your information on evolutionary continuity and the phylogenetic tree from resources other than Indic creationists, perhaps you could have been spared this utterly obvious and tiresome clarification that our closest cousins don't quite look like cows and look more like this. You may want to revisit your idea of 'higher level of evolution' or the very idea of evolution as some kind of directed process, when you watch in that documentary how there are several tasks in which our primate cousins can outperform us.

(26-02-2011 01:42 PM)aarun Wrote:  By eating the cow meat people will simply absorb this negative energies into their own body....

In Physics there is no such thing as 'positive' or 'negative' energy (such adjectives are added only in the pseudosciences) but just Energy which is converted from one form to another.

(26-02-2011 01:42 PM)aarun Wrote:  Fish, Chicken (bird) are lower forms of animals and their meat may be eaten if one wants to eat meat....

Again, phylogeny does not enforce a hierarchy of 'lower' or 'higher' life forms. Speaking of the exceptionalism accorded to bovines, that seems to be an addition of later commentators rather than the letter of the scripture these commentators themselves hold as sacrosanct. Here is an illustration, courtesy of ISKCON:
http://vedabase.net/sb/6/4/9/en2
Read first just the original and the synonyms. Srimad Bhagavatham declared 'four-legged beasts' as fair-game! Note how the escape-clause 'like deer and goats' are inserted only by the translator. Note also how the bovine exceptionalism is introduced only in the ponderous purport with no grounding in the original text.

(26-02-2011 01:42 PM)aarun Wrote:  Hence scientifically and ethically it is best to avoid cow meat

If it's ethics you wish to talk about, why should this be limited to cows and on what grounds are other sentient creatures excluded?
[+] 2 users Like arvindiyer's post
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
aarun Offline
Nirmukt Noobie

Likes Given: 0
Likes Rcvd: 1 in 1 posts

(26-02-2011 03:15 PM)arvindiyer Wrote:  
(26-02-2011 01:42 PM)aarun Wrote:  This is because in Hinduism one has a right to question everything and one can start his spiritual journey by believeing in no God.

Really? When then does Shraddha (unwavering faith in scripture that is undeniably theistic) feature among the Vedantic tradition's non-negotiable pre-requisites as formalized in Saadhana Chatushtayam?
Why then does Ishwara Pranidhana (surrender to God) feature in the list of Niyamas in the Patanjali Yoga system?

aarun Wrote:Please re-read what I have said. I said that one CAN START his spiritual journey by denying God's existence. I did not use the words MUST and REMAIN...What I mean is that you have different options:-

1. Wanting to be atheist for the heck of it, because it is more fashionable - Deep level of ignorance (avidya)

2. Currently an atheist but actively searching for the ultimate Imperishable Truth - start of spiritual evolution (Vidya started to bloom)

Shraddha is for this second category of people...

(26-02-2011 01:42 PM)aarun Wrote:  Of these, the Cow is at the highest level of evolution in the animal kingdom and fit to evolve as a human in its next birth.

If you had bothered to source your information on evolutionary continuity and the phylogenetic tree from resources other than Indic creationists, perhaps you could have been spared this utterly obvious and tiresome clarification that our closest cousins don't quite look like cows and look more like this. You may want to revisit your idea of 'higher level of evolution' or the very idea of evolution as some kind of directed process, when you watch in that documentary how there are several tasks in which our primate cousins can outperform us.

aarun Wrote:Your view of evolution is based on physical and behavioural traits - outward manifestations only. What about levels of Consciousness? Hindu evolution is based on levels of Consciousness (LoC)........

A Plant also has a LoC, but a lower one. It feels pain but to a lower degree confirmed by Bose, the scientist. An animal has a slightly higher LoC.......and within animals also there are varying levels of LoC.....

Have you read the Yoga Vashishta: New York Publications?

(26-02-2011 01:42 PM)aarun Wrote:  By eating the cow meat people will simply absorb this negative energies into their own body....

In Physics there is no such thing as 'positive' or 'negative' energy (such adjectives are added only in the pseudosciences) but just Energy which is converted from one form to another.

aarun Wrote:Contemporary Physics is limited by the limitations of the 5-senses human mind that cannot think beyond 4 dimensions of X-Y-Z-Time. Einstein has himself proved existence of multiple dimensions and multiple universes by theory and said that this is something human mind cannot really perceive or conceive. As Einstein once said, ''What humans do not under stand they call magic''.

There are many more types of energies that what today's physics can understand......leave alone measure them....

Our Eyes cannot see X-rays, does that mean they do not exist? Today we have an instrument that can detect them. Similarly the highly evolved Rishis can perceive and see things far beyond what you and I can even imagine/.

(26-02-2011 01:42 PM)aarun Wrote:  Fish, Chicken (bird) are lower forms of animals and their meat may be eaten if one wants to eat meat....

Again, phylogeny does not enforce a hierarchy of 'lower' or 'higher' life forms. Speaking of the exceptionalism accorded to bovines, that seems to be an addition of later commentators rather than the letter of the scripture these commentators themselves hold as sacrosanct. Here is an illustration, courtesy of ISKCON:
http://vedabase.net/sb/6/4/9/en2
Read first just the original and the synonyms. Srimad Bhagavatham declared 'four-legged beasts' as fair-game! Note how the escape-clause 'like deer and goats' are inserted only by the translator. Note also how the bovine exceptionalism is introduced only in the ponderous purport with no grounding in the original text.

aarun Wrote:I do not want to base my thoughts on any single reference.....What I said is that it is best to avoid meat......But if one still wants to, one can in that order of Fish and Fowl consume....But if still one wants to consume 4 -legged, then do so but not the Cow......

Ofcourse there could be insane people who can also do pseudo-arguments on the rights of cannibals....

(26-02-2011 01:42 PM)aarun Wrote:  Hence scientifically and ethically it is best to avoid cow meat

If it's ethics you wish to talk about, why should this be limited to cows and on what grounds are other sentient creatures excluded?

aarun Wrote:Sentient creatures among other things also include humans.....
[+] 1 user Likes aarun's post
Lije Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 259
Likes Rcvd: 339 in 189 posts

aarun, your arguments basically boil down to magical thinking. Of course according to you there are all types of thing that exist that are not detectable or falsifiable. That is the hallmark of religious believers. And you are not interested in a two way discussion as evidenced by you not even trying to see what Singer's arguments on animal eating are. In short, you are a troll.
(This post was last modified: 26-02-2011 04:38 PM by Lije.)
arvindiyer Offline
Veteran of Freethought

(26-02-2011 04:10 PM)aarun Wrote:  I said that one CAN START his spiritual journey by denying God's existence. I did not use the words MUST and REMAIN.

Well. I have news for you. Most dogmatic religious demagogues hungry for converts also say this because their conception of an 'atheist' is like a sort of blank-slate human being on whom they can scrawl their brand of nonsense. Here is a famous example of someone, who like yourself, does not understand atheism.

(26-02-2011 04:10 PM)aarun Wrote:  Wanting to be atheist for the heck of it, because it is more fashionable - Deep level of ignorance (avidya)

Before gratuitously advising us to know what we are criticizing and sanctimoniously recommending that we read the Yoga Vasishta (somehow only 'New York Publications' makes the cut apparently), please take 10 minutes to know what YOU are criticizing as a fashion atheists are pursuing for 'the heck of it'.

(26-02-2011 04:10 PM)aarun Wrote:  Contemporary Physics is limited by the limitations of the 5-senses human mind that cannot think beyond 4 dimensions of X-Y-Z-Time.

So let us take a look at a claim of this purportedly 'more complete' Physics that according to you only Vedantists are privy to. According to your Physics:

(26-02-2011 04:10 PM)aarun Wrote:  The Cow because of this is also capable of absorbing negative cosmic energies around it

Let us examine the consequence of your claim. Your view of a cow is something like that of a living sponge that soaks in all sorts of toxicity from not only its immediate environment, but also from other 'cosmic' sources. In that case, what is the recommended use of a cow?
I would say, release herds of cows in war-zones and crime-scenes of course, so that all those 'negative energies' are trapped, and the cows can suitably be quarantined. Quarantine is the only option and then all the pious devotees who are anxious to preserve their positive energy must take to their heels at the sight of a cow. Strangely enough, however, they fall over each other to come in the presence of a cow and more strangely, bovine excrement, coming as it does from such a repository of 'negative energy' has a miraculously purificatory property!
[+] 2 users Like arvindiyer's post
Rationius Offline
Nirmukt Noobie

Likes Given: 2
Likes Rcvd: 0 in 0 posts

All flesh is grass[/color][/size][/font]Clap
muffintop Offline
Nirmukt Noobie

Likes Given: 11
Likes Rcvd: 1 in 1 posts

(18-09-2010 07:52 AM)emkay Wrote:  It, as rightly pointed out earlier, is not. Hinduism prohibits nothing. Caste customs, and traditions of specific sects, do prohibit it. But eaten or not, beaten or not, the cow is a holy animal to the Hindus. Why? It could be something as simple as a symbol of identity, just like why Nirmukta has a logo.
If the nirmukta logo (symbol of identity) was made out of chocolate cake I would totally eat it Big Grin
PS: Apologies for replying to member who is no longer here.
Thirukkumara Pandian Offline
Nirmukt Noobie

Cow played a major role from the ancient Tamil Nadu .It was a very useful animal which provided for milk and other dairy products. So due to these facts that cow has been considered somewhat highly than other animals. During the time when kings ruled, stealing cows or killing them were acts which were punishable crimes. And in ancient Tamil literature people worshiped cows and it was considered one of the six in tholkappiam to be wished by people, since it was very useful to the people. And it was considered to have powers of god, therefore they branded it as a holy animal. So due to these reasons eating beef was prohibited in Hinduism.
Anitha Prasad Offline
Nirmukt Noobie

(19-09-2010 01:42 AM)madhav Wrote:  
(14-09-2010 06:43 PM)Shantanu Wrote:  Up until recently, I was a theist Hindu who adhered to all aspects of our religion including not eating beef even though I ate the meat of lamb, goat, chicken and fish. I believed it was due to the thought that Sri Krishna was a cow herd and so we should have respect for cows.

Nowhere have I found a reasonable justification for banning of beef consumption as part of the Hindu way of life. I am posting this here so that I may obtain the views and findings of others more enlightened than me on why it is that Hindus do not eat beef.

As an atheist now I do not any longer feel the need for paying respects to a God such as Sri Krishna or any other God to whom this traditional custom is attributed. If Aghoris can eat human meat, and all things here are Brahman (Sarve Khalu Idam Brahma) we should not have any dietary restrictions. That is what atheistic advaita that I believe in says.

Any comments?
Who knows why these irrational food taboos came about? Wikipedia lists all the food taboos around the world here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_taboo. Muslims don't like pork, Jews don't like Shrimp, Hindus don't like Beef and so on. However, when the conditions call for it, all these religionists will gladly eat anything available. For instance, I know an orthodox Hindu person who had to eat beef when they went to a European country for studies and could not get any kind of vegetarian food. It seems that these products (pigs, shrimp, cows) were available in plenty in all those regions where they were banned and not killing and eating them was no big loss to the common populace.

However, note that in India, certain castes and Muslims continued to eat beef throughout most historical eras as possibly cows produced more meat and were cheaper(?).

I remember when I was religious and ate some "forbidden food", I felt so guilty that I wanted to "purify" my "sin" somehow. Basically, I think the food taboos (along with all other superstitions) work on a basis of guilt creation on the part of the so-called wrongdoer so that they will do some kind of purification to get rid of their so-called sin. It is a form of mind control. It seems these dietary laws along with other irrational superstitions are created by priestly classes in various societies to keep the lay religious people under their control.

In hinduism, consumption of beef is restricted due to the reason being cows are sacred and hindus believe that gods reside in cows that has been told by lord krishna himself.
The beginning of kaliyuga happens when kali tries to cut one of the four legs of a cow and gets caught by the lord who wishes to punish him. But then kali asks for forgiveness for that. At that moment lord Shri Krishna tells that killing cow is one of the biggest sin since 333 crore devtas reside in a cow and whoever kills or hurts a cow would be deeply punished. However a worshipper of the lord krishna will always adhere to what the lord himself has told since we cannot question god and what is right .
nispat Away
Addicted to Freethought

Likes Given: 25
Likes Rcvd: 20 in 13 posts

(12-03-2012 02:47 PM)Anitha Prasad Wrote:  In hinduism, consumption of beef is restricted due to the reason being cows are sacred and hindus believe that gods reside in cows that has been told by lord krishna himself.
The beginning of kaliyuga happens when kali tries to cut one of the four legs of a cow and gets caught by the lord who wishes to punish him. But then kali asks for forgiveness for that. At that moment lord Shri Krishna tells that killing cow is one of the biggest sin since 333 crore devtas reside in a cow and whoever kills or hurts a cow would be deeply punished. However a worshipper of the lord krishna will always adhere to what the lord himself has told since we cannot question god and what is right .
Heaven must be really crowded place with 333 crore devtas residing in there. Must be chaotic situation when the angry devtas goes on fire. Population control, drainage system... have you thought of these cases with devtas :-) . I guess, its 33 crore devta not 333 crore, please correct me if I am wrong.

btw, why the discrimination between cow and buffalo? According to Indian laws many states have tougher cow slaughter laws. Anyone who has good knowledge of Hindu/Indian culture may be able to tell me why exactly buffalo is skipped from being holy. From time eternal both cow and buffalo have served almost the same purpose to mankind. Just skin colour and few genes are different. Maybe I am missing some points here?
AFAIK, buffalo slaughter is not banned, and eating buffalo meat is not a problem.

Indians today are governed by two different ideologies. Their political ideal set in the preamble of the Constitution affirms a life of liberty, equality and fraternity. Their social ideal embodied in their religion denies them. - Ambedkar
arvindiyer Offline
Veteran of Freethought

(12-03-2012 04:52 PM)nispat Wrote:  AFAIK, buffalo slaughter is not banned, and eating buffalo meat is not a problem.

Activists like Prof. Kancha Ilaiah view bovine hyper-exceptionalism to the exclusion of buffaloes as yet another manifestation of cultural hegemony paralleling caste hierarchies. Here is a typically scathing 2001 article by him:

The Buffalo's Unholy Milk

Here is a review of his book Buffalo Nationalism: A critique of spiritual fascism.
anniyan Offline
Addicted to Freethought

Likes Given: 2

I think cattle were used for trading and bartering back in ancient India than for the meat itself. It was more profitable to keep the cow alive by milking it everyday and making money from it than to kill it and eat the meat. And about buffaloes, I think it has to do with the taste. Because buffalo milk is not as preferred by everyone as cow's milk.

So this must have generated a myth saying cows are very useful. And this in turn could have led the people to believe that there is something special about the cow. And almost anything that was found to be special back then was eventually believed to be "sacred" or magical.

Again, this is my theory on why it could have been declared uneatable.

The easiest answer to a difficult question is almost always not the right one.
Prahalad Offline
Addicted to Freethought

Likes Given: 8
Likes Rcvd: 4 in 3 posts

I believe that all religions were created to enforce laws (i.e. "you commit a crime, cops will catch because of dna/cctv" used to be "you commit a crime god is watching you")

On the subject of beef, I believe that as cattle were regarded as beasts of burden (milk, ploughing, dry dung, etc) so to enforce the law "Do not harm this USEFUL animal" they changed it to "Do not harm this SACRED animal"

Quote:"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman."
Homer Simpson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MILArKLKUEk

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Photo Hinduism's ability to evolve deusex 0 2,027 09-10-2013 03:53 PM
Last Post: deusex
  Hinduism - is it a religion in the truest sense of word? arpanahuja 1 1,223 19-08-2013 11:51 PM
Last Post: Captain Mandrake
  Who are the official or lead spokespersons for Hinduism? astrokid.nj 4 2,787 26-06-2012 11:10 PM
Last Post: KalBhairav
  Hinduism as a modern religion - Academic references and analysis Ajita Kamal 3 5,258 30-07-2011 12:39 PM
Last Post: arvindiyer
Sad some frustrating experiences with Hinduism... tarun 5 2,901 19-02-2011 09:48 PM
Last Post: unsorted
  Hinduism Summit in Chicago, USA on June 5 2010 (Saturday) dharmaseva 9 3,565 05-09-2010 09:43 AM
Last Post: Swati

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)