coming out of fear
Hi friends ... i have been an atheist for like 6 years now. I have just completed my B.E in Computers. In these 6 years i have debated many times with my friends and other people on the god and religion.
Many times i even come across some person who dont believe in god but yet they have not revealed themselves to their families and friends bcoz of fear and being the odd one out.

I thought that it should be our duty on moral grounds to help,support and encourage rational thinking in the society so that people can come forward w/o any fear.....

For this i start to search for celebrated atheist like Dawkins , Hitchens , Sam Harris...and start reading some of their books and following their videos and thats how i come across this forum.

i was surprised to see that such forums existed and very pleased to be part of it.
Friends i think we should not always be moderately tolerated towards superstition of religion and let our near ones keep on practicing them. We should come forward and try to explain them giving them logical facts and encouraging rational thinking.....
'When one person suffers from a
delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from
a delusion it is called Religion.'

More on this later.....
thanks....
[+] 2 users Like Lohit Kad's post
(12-Jul-2012, 01:15 PM)Lohit Kad Wrote: Hi friends ... i have been an atheist for like 6 years now. I have just completed my B.E in Computers. In these 6 years i have debated many times with my friends and other people on the god and religion.
Many times i even come across some person who dont believe in god but yet they have not revealed themselves to their families and friends bcoz of fear and being the odd one out.

I thought that it should be our duty on moral grounds to help,support and encourage rational thinking in the society so that people can come forward w/o any fear.....

For this i start to search for celebrated atheist like Dawkins , Hitchens , Sam Harris...and start reading some of their books and following their videos and thats how i come across this forum.

i was surprised to see that such forums existed and very pleased to be part of it.
Friends i think we should not always be moderately tolerated towards superstition of religion and let our near ones keep on practicing them. We should come forward and try to explain them giving them logical facts and encouraging rational thinking.....

More on this later.....
thanks....

Hey..
a small question...aint atheism also a religion. As religion is just a school of thought or a world view.

So aint atheism based on a faith that God is not there.!!!!
Aint atheism Based on a faith that once there was big bang and from the chaos this design was formed..
much like saying ..there was once a printing press explosion and hence the dictionary was formed. smile

So what u just said about religion is philosophically hitting you back 
(20-Sep-2013, 06:00 PM)shalom Wrote:
(12-Jul-2012, 01:15 PM)Lohit Kad Wrote: Hi friends ... i have been an atheist for like 6 years now. I have just completed my B.E in Computers. In these 6 years i have debated many times with my friends and other people on the god and religion.

More on this later.....
thanks....

Hey..
a small question...aint atheism also a religion. As religion is just a school of thought or a world view.

Aint atheism Based on a faith that once there was big bang and from the chaos this design was formed..
much like saying ..there was once a printing press explosion and hence the dictionary was formed. smile

Atheism isn't faith. It's the very opposite of faith -- at least in a religious sense. An atheist relies of his eyes and ears and sense of reasoning to come to the conclusion that he doesn't think deities exist. That's just the sort of thinking that organised religion discourages. To quote somebody, atheism is a religion in the same way not collecting stamps is a hobby. But I also get the sense that atheists around the world are using the internet to organise themselves better to tackle all the ills of religion.
[+] 2 users Like arhemant's post

More on this later.....
thanks....

Hey..

I do not agree on what u said....Atheism is not based on faith. there are evidences of bing bang, they have also been accepted by many religious scientists too.

I guess you are a creationist so you are talking about design. There are many evidences too for darwin's theory of natural selection and Evolution. You should study them smile

You tend to have sense of humor too ...but the analogy you are using is not correct..
...horizn problem...flatness problem..magnetic monopoles.... Big Bang is still a theory sir smile
not yet proved with concrete evidence .

But just want you to know It is a baseless theory both scientifically and philosophically(i can explain that if u ask why..too bored to type smile ).

I leave you with a question:
How can matter create mind ??

and leave you with a note :
I do respect atheists,partly coz i feel they are more sincere than the many so called religious hypocrites ..
and partly coz..i was an atheist my self smile
I never argue to prove a point...i do it so that you know the Lord i talk to every day of my life.
Read the book of Joshua 1:5 - 10

God bless.
(23-Sep-2013, 08:04 AM)shalom Wrote: ...horizn problem...flatness problem..magnetic monopoles.... Big Bang is still a theory sir smile

But just want you to know It is a baseless theory both scientifically and philosophically(i can explain that if u ask why..too bored to type smile ).

I do respect atheists,partly coz i feel they are more sincere than the many so called religious hypocrites ..
I never argue to prove a point...i do it so that you know the Lord i talk to every day of my life.

God bless.

Just so you know, gravity is also just a theory. So is evolution. Scientific theories are not the same as theories we come up during casual discussions, where you say, "Manmohan Singh a corrupt man" and I casually brush you off saying "You know, that's just a theory."

To establish a scientific theory you need years of research and scrutiny and peer reviewing within the scientific community. Scientific theories are nearly not as baseless as the dogmas most religions are seeped in -- dogmas such as the virgin birth. Scientific theories are our best hope because they are created by people who constantly attempt to improve our understanding of the world instead of lazily accepting the misguided theories of goatherds who lived thousands of years ago.

Also, I'm getting the sense that your question about matter and mind is a rhetorical one. All you needed to do for an answer was Google for articles on the evolution of the human brain.
[+] 1 user Likes arhemant's post
(23-Sep-2013, 08:04 AM)shalom Wrote: ...horizn problem...flatness problem..magnetic monopoles.... Big Bang is still a theory sir smile

God bless.

This thread was a "hello" from a new member in this community and you've made it both an ideological debate and a sales pitch for Christianity. Please read the forum rules, particularly point 7. I'm putting you on moderation.
[+] 1 user Likes Lije's post
(23-Sep-2013, 09:40 PM)arhemant Wrote:

God bless.

Just so you know, gravity is also just a theory. So is evolution. Scientific theories are not the same as theories we come up during casual discussions, where you say, "Manmohan Singh a corrupt man" and I casually brush you off saying "You know, that's just a theory."

To establish a scientific theory you need years of research and scrutiny and peer reviewing within the scientific community. Scientific theories are nearly not as baseless as the dogmas most religions are seeped in -- dogmas such as the virgin birth. Scientific theories are our best hope because they are created by people who constantly attempt to improve our understanding of the world instead of lazily accepting the misguided theories of goatherds who lived thousands of years ago.

Also, I'm getting the sense that your question about matter and mind is a rhetorical one. All you needed to do for an answer was Google for articles on the evolution of the human brain.

Hey Most of the reply was done sufficiently by the previous reply to this one.
I had started reading Quran and Bible ...and believe me from the word go i was full of questions and doubts..may be will also read what u have mentioned.
I dont know what make u start believing in god again but still give it a thought again.

P.S. Say my Hi to your imaginary friend.
(22-Feb-2014, 03:19 PM)hafa786 Wrote: Well ,It is good that you have come out from fear.

Yes indeed...Its been a long time now....smile
(22-Feb-2014, 07:07 PM)Lohit Kad Wrote:
(22-Feb-2014, 03:19 PM)hafa786 Wrote: Well ,It is good that you have come out from fear.

Yes indeed...Its been a long time now....smile

hi

this conversation interests me as i see myself somewhere between an atheist and believer. i would like to put myself as an agnostic (one who says i would believe in God if you could show me evidence, so technically neither a believer nor a disbeliever).
i have one particular thought concerning the discussion you people were having regarding science theories like big bang and the belief in god. decades ago people used to worship the sun giving it the status of God. but then as science progressed and brought forward the facts about the sun, the concept of worshiping the sun disappeared completely. similarly nowadays i hear people arguing that God exists because if it wasn't God then who runs the universe? who created the big bang? they argue that there is a supreme force.
my question is that.......don't you think that these questions are just a matter of time? once science progresses further, these questions will be answered and our concept of God will ONCE AGAIN CHANGE. I feel there is no real reason or evidence for "believers" to support the concept of God, rather, it is the "UNKNOWN" on which the concept of God is based.

More on this later.....
thanks....

Hey..

Well ... Atheism is definitely not a religion. It is the absence of religion. I could sum it up as "Religion = Belief in Faith" and "Atheism = Belief in Evidence". So if I was to say that I believe the earth is flat, believing the books pre Galileo, I would have the religious too hammering me .. with evidence. When it comes to God though .... no such evidence is warranted. Though testaments change, books change and it is accepted that these books are written by man ..