"maddu' which makes person to give up eating - need explanation, please.
Hi all

Recently i came to know from my sister that, people will be given maddu(I dont know its english name). and those people will give up eating because if they eat anything they will vomit it in the next moment. and to cure them, them will be taken to one temple where they will tie up a thread(Thaitha) tightly which will bleed in that part and after 24 hours they will start eating.

I came to know about it because, my sister got his son tied with that thread becuase he was had become thin suddently and was not drinkiing milk and eating very less.

It was a cruel act, I told her not to do that, and she gave explanation that even pediatrician in karnataka, (i dont know about in India), believe that. Is that true? or is that "Maddu" a chemical which makes them like that?? please explain

I was not beliving it, but my another friend told me one more example, This is scaring me out.

Please somebody explain about this..

Thanks
Prashanth

Eek that's cruel
You may have to give us a little more detail or atleast one or two traceable English words, or name of a temple where this practice occurs. I tried Google with some terms from your first post and all I got was Maddur, Karnataka.
"It's alright, I rarely meet anyone who's able to read it properly. Although personally, I never thought that it to be an odd of a name. Once I give people the pronunciation, they tend to remember my name by easily associating me with it. A unique face, a unique moniker."
Responses to this question from the IADC group on Facebook:

Quote:Veena Kay : have heard about this in Blore. My father used to relate such incidents way back in 50's/60s and he was told eat cardamom if ever food was consumed in such houses. Do not know how far this worked out

Quote:Veena Kay there are also people who reverse the process - who provide reverse - maddu used to reside in old local areas of Blore. Had never heard of this Tayata in temple

Quote:Pratibha Nair ‎//Those people will give up eating because if they eat anything they will vomit it in the next moment// Sounds like a viral GI infection, which would cure away on its own given some time and proper rehydration.
"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.
THanks all for the reply

@nick: I dont know the English word of maddu. The place where the thaitya(The thread tied on right hand tightly) is in a village called Kannalli near MaLavLLI taluk Mandya district Karnataka India.

@veena kay: The taitha is the one which will reverse the process(this is what i heard about)

@prathiba nair: Do you mean that tieing any thread tightly on the right hand will solve the Viral GI infection ? because they will start eating suddenly the the thaitha is tied. and even doctors belive in this and were unable to solve this eating give up problem when shown to them because of unable to diagnose the problem.

Thanks Ajita for posting the answer.
Well i still havent got the science(reason) behind it, please somebody explain further..

Thanks
Prashanth
(24-Aug-2011, 10:52 AM)prashanthshivanna Wrote: @prathiba nair: Do you mean that tieing any thread tightly on the right hand will solve the Viral GI infection ? because they will start eating suddenly the the thaitha is tied. and even doctors belive in this and were unable to solve this eating give up problem when shown to them because of unable to diagnose the problem.

Usually such tales are the product of confirmation bias, where people only take note of the coincidental 'hits' and ignore the 'misses' because they want to believe. Doctors, especially in India, are as likely to be superstitious as anyone else. We have not established that tying the thread is correlated to a significant degree with the return of a healthy appetite. All we have are anecdotal reports, which are unreliable.

In addition, Ganesh Veluswamy, a medical doctor AND a rationalist, thinks that the infection theory is not as likely as use of some emetic such as ipecac. This makes sense. The effects of the emetic will wear off in a certain amount of time, and age old tales can perpetuate the myth that it is the thread tied to the wrist that ends the problem.

The fact is, there is no way to say for sure because there isn't enough detail here. We cannot just say that doctors don't know what is going on, because we don't even know what this maddu is! We need more information. Until then, we can only speculate.
"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.
[+] 1 user Likes Ajita Kamal's post
I agree that it sounds like a medical folk tale. It's hard to tell what maddu is but it does sound like something similar to ipecac or some other herb that will make someone feel nauseous. The string is the part that makes it seem magical or mythical which is why it usually gets passed down and told as a tale.
Ursula - Has anyone ever used Kareo for billing patients?
Hi,

I went through the comments and details posts relating to Maddu...

Initially even I did not believe that something like time can happen; but I had to believe for various reasons.
Maddu word is generally means Medicine, where as in this case I really do know the English name.

What I know about this.
When people will be given maddu, those people will give up eating, as soon as they take food in they hands they feel like vomiting
Even if they force themselves, they can have very little; with that little food they feel very very heavy, as though they had a heavy meal
Face Food Digestion issues.
Always there stomach is bulgy, it is like when you face acidity problems
Body energy comes down drastically, you will not be able walk,
When you try to climb steps your knees pains a lot
Looks pale
Feel like your stomach is tied up with something very tightly / hardly
Some people cannot pass motions.

The reason why I started believing in this is because; I have gone through this pain.
Some unknown had given me maddu, I don’t know who.

I visited many doctors and tried various medicines, Underwent various scanning, endoscopy, colonoscopy etc but no use.
Doctors were giving me medicines for acidity and for digestion; I guess all these was over dosed, due to which my appetite increased and I have put on weight

Finally some told me about maddu and a place where they remove. In some places they give some powder, by which it comes out by vomiting.
Some places they tie a tread which is dipped in some powder, I don’t know how it works but yes it comes out.
Some places they give 2 types of powder mixed with butter, 1 helps you to pass through motions, 2 via vomiting
All these works – I have met people and experienced it.

After this I tried finding what is this all about and what is this maddu, all I could find was this is some kind of a liquid which is comes out from the skins of a dead reptile (a particular reptile – don’t know it’s name), just a drop of that liquid is added a food and will be given.

I was given this many times, and went through very bad stages.

I believe the person who gives this cannot stop giving, they have to give this for some or the other for there life long.

I have been given again and facing problems, don’t know who is doing this.

IS there any thing is science or any medicine which can give a permanent solution for this
If yes please help me and thousand of people who as facing this problems, I can see thousands of people with this problem when I go to places where they remove this maddu.