moderation open thread
you use the word dumb to mean lack of intelligence, yes you are endorsing a harmful stereotype.
It doesn't matter to whom your words are directed at, what matters is the words you use.
(02-Nov-2013, 07:52 PM)LMC Wrote: you use the word dumb to mean lack of intelligence, yes you are endorsing a harmful stereotype.
It doesn't matter to whom your words are directed at, what matters is the words you use.

1.) I qualified the usage ... "dumb to not know it will hurt them". I did not say "stone is dumb." I qualified it for a particular instance!
2.) So you are claiming a "Stone" has intelligence?
3.) Stereotype! Against a stone?

As for "what matters is the words you use", I guess calling a bitch (a female dog) a bitch (a female dog) would be wrong?
Obviously a stone does not have intelligence, obviously the stereotype is not against stone and obviously you know that I am not talking about it.
You can keep trying to distract the discussion there but obviously I am not falling for it.
Obviously(from observation) your questions are not out of curiosity or with an intent to learn, but from being called out for usage and with an intent to defend the same.

Moderation open thread is a place for members and moderators to discuss several moderation issues, for better understanding of each other's point of view, it is not, as is taken by many warned or requested in our groups to be: A place to soothe your ego after being called out in our groups, to reassure yourself by trying to coax us into agreement.Or to stretch a discussion about the same so long that one doesn't feel like replying, so that you could reassure yourself that you were right as other person could not reply back.

Anyway here's one last attempt, suppose we live in a world where a stereotype exists that those with green eyes are irrational, stereotype is common and has become mainstream usage with the slur greenie meaning irrational. People using the word greenie to mean irrational may themselves not believe that people with green eyes are inherently irrational.

You may call your friend greenie and he might not mind it that won't give you a free pass on it's usage, you may call stone a greenie and then try to defend it saying that stones are not harmed by that usage. But with all these usages, you are making world even more difficult place to live in for those with green eyes.
Stop doing that, stop being insensitive, stop valuing your ego above harm caused to others.When called out, stop using it instead of being defensive about it.

There are many other words in english language that do not cause that harm and would fit in the context perfectly.Whether or not you 'get it' now, you should stop doing it, I would suggest in your personal life as well, but definitely in our groups.Within our groups, you have to abide by rules set by admins.
Rules, that unlike religion have been made, and refined over the period of years, are reason-based and are not forced upon anyone. It is just assumed that when you join our groups your agree with the rules, and if they are too hard to follow, one can leave.
[+] 3 users Like LMC's post
Stop making assumptions. Here:
"A place to soothe your ego after being called out in our groups, to reassure yourself by trying to coax us into agreement"

Perhaps its your ego!

And an assumption here again, this "Obviously a stone does not have intelligence, obviously the stereotype is not against stone and obviously you know that I am not talking about it."
No It was about a stone... Do not introduce a smoke where there is no fire. I was talking about a stone, and only a stone. If you want to apply it to someone else that is a problem with you. Not me.
If you can't follow English hand it over to someone else.

And stop talking about "my personal life". You won't appreciate it if I did for you. I could as well say you need a lesson in English and Mathematical logic!
Hello,

This is a formal enquiry about banning Troy DSouza from the Indian Atheist Debate Corner(IADC) in FB. I am not even sure if he is banned (Since I do not see the grey text on his name while he is tagged). But I was informed that he was banned, See this link.

His posts were generally quite interesting. And a few members of IADC have also expressed that they liked his posts in general. So would you kindly tell us why he was banned?

Thanks.
(30-Nov-2013, 04:10 AM)Why Wrote: Hello,

This is a formal enquiry about banning Troy DSouza from the Indian Atheist Debate Corner(IADC) in FB. I am not even sure if he is banned (Since I do not see the grey text on his name while he is tagged). But I was informed that he was banned, See this link.

His posts were generally quite interesting. And a few members of IADC have also expressed that they liked his posts in general. So would you kindly tell us why he was banned?

Thanks.

He was banned because he posted a perverse thread that had a picture of young (most likely underage) girls in their undergarments with a caption that was supposed to ridicule Islam's 72 virgins in heaven meme.

Now even if it was supposed to be a joke (even as per the author), it was regressive. To ridicule religion, there is no need to stoop down to vulgar so-called-jokes. But more importantly, most atheist circles suffer from this chilly climate that discourages participation by women. And it is posts like this that create such climate. Nirmukta and IADC strictly like to maintain a healthy environment where member belonging to every community feels comfortable to participate. We are very serious about not repeating the mistakes that have been made by other atheist circles.

And let me reassure that this is NOT some pseudo-hypocritical-modesty supporting logic, but about attacking rampant sexism in atheist circles.
[+] 1 user Likes Kanad Kanhere's post
(30-Nov-2013, 05:57 AM)Kanad Kanhere Wrote: He was banned because he posted a perverse thread that had a picture of young (most likely underage) girls in their undergarments with a caption that was supposed to ridicule Islam's 72 virgins in heaven meme.

Now even if it was supposed to be a joke (even as per the author), it was regressive. To ridicule religion, there is no need to stoop down to vulgar so-called-jokes. But more importantly, most atheist circles suffer from this chilly climate that discourages participation by women. And it is posts like this that create such climate. Nirmukta and IADC strictly like to maintain a healthy environment where member belonging to every community feels comfortable to participate. We are very serious about not repeating the mistakes that have been made by other atheist circles.

And let me reassure that this is NOT some pseudo-hypocritical-modesty supporting logic, but about attacking rampant sexism in atheist circles.

Thank you for the clarification. Tara and many others thought he was banned for creating a thread with lot of name calling. I was quite sure he was banned for posting a sexist meme.
Quite curiously, I am not sure how one can say the women were underage. Perhaps I am unaware of the markers. But I agree with you that the joke had sexist overtones. And that's why I found the 'joke' in poor taste.
Well is there a way for Troy to be reinstated if he agrees not to post such sexist posts?
(30-Nov-2013, 10:16 AM)Why Wrote: Well is there a way for Troy to be reinstated if he agrees not to post such sexist posts?

If he understands what was wrong with his post, and hence confirms not to repeat anything of this sort, we will discuss it in the admins circle and if everybody is fine with it he can join the group.
(30-Nov-2013, 01:13 PM)Kanad Kanhere Wrote:
(30-Nov-2013, 10:16 AM)Why Wrote: Well is there a way for Troy to be reinstated if he agrees not to post such sexist posts?

If he understands what was wrong with his post, and hence confirms not to repeat anything of this sort, we will discuss it in the admins circle and if everybody is fine with it he can join the group.

Hey Sri Kanth & Kanad....Tnx for counting me in & I'm glad you guys like my other posts....smile) I construed the joke in very different light....albiet I failed to decipher that the image carries sexist connotations....Being sexist or passing a sexist comment is something I totally condemn.... I respect the decision of the mods to evaluate it & yank me off....& was just about to do it, however I couldnt access the page....

I love IADC & it was one of the first groups I joined on joining FB.....If re-instated, whilst honoring & abiding the rules laid down by the admin, I most likely will not be posting any material in the group, rather I'd participate in some of the qualitative discussions happening there.....

Have a terrific weekend.... Cheers smile)
Troy
[+] 1 user Likes dsouzatroy's post
(30-Nov-2013, 02:18 PM)dsouzatroy Wrote: Hey Sri Kanth & Kanad....Tnx for counting me in & I'm glad you guys like my other posts....smile) I construed the joke in very different light....albiet I failed to decipher that the image carries sexist connotations....Being sexist or passing a sexist comment is something I totally condemn.... I respect the decision of the mods to evaluate it & yank me off....& was just about to do it, however I couldnt access the page....

I love IADC & it was one of the first groups I joined on joining FB.....If re-instated, whilst honoring & abiding the rules laid down by the admin, I most likely will not be posting any material in the group, rather I'd participate in some of the qualitative discussions happening there.....

Troy

Can you kindly send another join request so that I can add you?

Also there is no reason why you can't post material or start threads, as long as you abide by the rules and maintain a healthy inclusive environment.
(30-Nov-2013, 10:52 PM)Kanad Kanhere Wrote:
(30-Nov-2013, 02:18 PM)dsouzatroy Wrote: Hey Sri Kanth & Kanad....Tnx for counting me in & I'm glad you guys like my other posts....smile) I construed the joke in very different light....albiet I failed to decipher that the image carries sexist connotations....Being sexist or passing a sexist comment is something I totally condemn.... I respect the decision of the mods to evaluate it & yank me off....& was just about to do it, however I couldnt access the page....

Troy

Can you kindly send another join request so that I can add you?

Also there is no reason why you can't post material or start threads, as long as you abide by the rules and maintain a healthy inclusive environment.

I can do it.... But I can't access the IADC page to send the join request...I get an error msg "Sorry, this page isn't available."
[+] 1 user Likes dsouzatroy's post
(30-Nov-2013, 11:07 PM)dsouzatroy Wrote: I can do it.... But I can't access the IADC page to send the join request...I get an error msg "Sorry, this page isn't available."

Can you try again? I have removed your ban from the group, but I am still not able to tag you. So most likely now you should be able to send a join request.

Regards
Kanad