moderation open thread
I had once commented on a thread which I believe involved rape/feminism on the nirmukta fb official page, I had mentioned that there were many posts on the topic of feminism, merely scrolling down iu could see numerous regular posts but a similar exercise the dearth of posts regarding animal suffering, what I can remember there wasn't one for several months/years though that also must be considered a relevant humanist issue.
I believe it was considered a thread hijacking/derailing problem so while i had felt a warning etc cld hv been issued and my comment deleted, instead my ability to post /see comments or like posts on that page was blocked and it has been so for several months. So sure shan't be derailing in that sense anymore but would like my abilities restored? Guess it was a new initiant mistake of not properly familiarizing with the rules regarding posting about a different topic but I have reread the rules etc.
Done.
Aside, If you want our page to post about veganism more frequently, try sending links(Not in this thread, message the page) , or write one yourself, try sending a draft to editor@nirmukta.com ?
[+] 1 user Likes LMC's post
Hello!

I am banned from commenting in the public Indian Atheists page for over a year now. I don't remember the exact reason for it, but pretty sure it was due to me being a bit of an asshole and privilege blind. This has changed and now I strive to be as knowledgeable about privilege as I can and welcome people to point out anything that I'm ignorant about. Kindly rescind the ban on my profile : https://www.facebook.com/surya.vanamali.7
Alright, unbanned. Congrats on being able to outgrow that phase smile
It is ofcourse a never-ending fight, we keep on learning and shedding our ignorance behind.
My name is Meghana Joshi and I was banned from the FB group Indian Atheists Debate corner. There were a few posts there which were clearly prejudiced against Brahmins portraying them in an evil light and talking about supposed 'brahmanocracy' and generalizations like "Brahmins and upper castes have reduced India to a joke". According to the guidelines of the group, the 5th point clearly stated not to make prejudiced statements, yet those posts were posted. I merely reported 3 such posts to the admin but instead of those posts being taken down, I was the one who got banned without any communication. Why did that happen? I need an explanation.
(20-Sep-2015, 11:54 AM)meghana.meggy Wrote: My name is Meghana Joshi and I was banned from the FB group Indian Atheists Debate corner. There were a few posts there which were clearly prejudiced against Brahmins portraying them in an evil light and talking about supposed 'brahmanocracy' and generalizations like "Brahmins and upper castes have reduced India to a joke". According to the guidelines of the group, the 5th point clearly stated not to make prejudiced statements, yet those posts were posted.  I merely reported 3 such posts to the admin but instead of those posts being taken down, I was the one who got banned without any communication. Why did that happen? I need an explanation.

You were banned for privilege denial, anti-reservation remarks and #NotAll... logic which altogether basically means support for casteism.
When I decided to write this comment, I hesitated and thought why the hell should I comment at all and instead just go ahead and unlike your pages and leave the groups. But the freethinker inside me HAD to comment before leaving.

You say casteism is when one person refuses to touch another just because of the latter's last name. At the same time you say that it isn't casteism if the government gives undue favors to one person over another just because of a last name? That isn't casteism? When one of your members says "Brahmanocracy" and "Upper castes have reduced India to a joke" in his comments that isn't casteism? Isn't that generalizing each and every individual of a group, based on the actions of a few? Who are these upper class people who reduced India to a joke? What did they do to reduce India to a joke? If you call the first thing casteism and the latter 'not casteism', then you people are hypocrites, calling yourselves Atheists, yet judging people based on their last names. The only difference between this casteism and that casteism is that in conventional casteism namely 'backwards' were judged while in your kind of casteism brahmins and so called upper castes are being judged. And one is not better than the other in any sense.

My name is Meghana Joshi and I am not an evil Brahmin. I am a human being who does not judge other people based on their last names, color, race or religion. None of my remarks were against reservation. They were against 'caste'-based reservation and there is a difference. But I know this comment is going to be ignored, by you folks. So it doesn't matter now does it. To hell with you guys. You guys are a disappointment. Best of luck with your "feel good" version of casteism.
Source: Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_discrimination

"In India, among the limited positions for higher education in Government institutions, 50 percent seats are reserved for members of economically disadvantaged castes and classes. Reserved category candidates can select a position from the Open 50 percent if he or she has good merit. This results in further reverse discrimination of Open/General/Non Reserved candidates. Further, since there are no economic criteria in classifying Reservation, poorer sections of reserved class often remain poor whereas the affluent section reap benefits for successive generations.

Also, the poorer sections of Open/General Category become devoid of access to higher education for even slightly low merit on competitive exams. The difference in merit on entrance exams is often very wide between the reserved and unreserved classes. In India, the term is often used by citizens protesting against reservation and quotas"
Since you talk about discrimination and Freethinking do take time to educate yourself on Positive Discrimination when you get the chance to cool down and check your privilege.

Also this is not an invitation to discuss this topic here. MOT thread is for clarifications on admin policies. This is not going to be a thread dedicated for education. There are plenty resources on this forum and Nirmukta site for that.
"Anshu, you were removed from the group for the MRA-apologist posts in yesterday's thread. Feminism is a core value in Nirmukta, and admins occasionally remove members who are opposed to feminism. If you feel that you have been misunderstood, you may create a post in the Moderation Open Thread here: http://nirmukta.net/Thread-moderation-open-thread"

I had a conversation with Ms. Chaitra Chandapillai regarding feminism, where I stated that I am opposed to feminism, as in militant feminism where men are hated, I was not discourteous towards her and was not an MRA-apologist, I just stated that I'm an egalitarian and susbscribe to some of the MRA contentions in the American context.

I believe this is a free thought group and people grow intellectually by having discussions about thing they believe in, I didn't know you have to be a feminist to be in the group. On a side note, I'm all for feminism in the Indian context where I really do believe women are disenfranchised in many ways, but I was not given a chance to explain and was banned without, I believe any provocation.
(19-Nov-2015, 09:41 PM)anshu Wrote: "Anshu, you were removed from the group for the MRA-apologist posts in yesterday's thread. Feminism is a core value in Nirmukta, and admins occasionally remove members who are opposed to feminism. If you feel that you have been misunderstood, you may create a post in the Moderation Open Thread here: http://nirmukta.net/Thread-moderation-open-thread"

I had a conversation with Ms. Chaitra Chandapillai regarding feminism, where I stated that I am opposed to feminism, as in militant feminism where men are hated, I was not discourteous towards her and was not an MRA-apologist, I just stated that I'm an egalitarian and susbscribe to some of the MRA contentions in the American context.

I believe this is a free thought group and people grow intellectually by having discussions about thing they believe in, I didn't know you have to be a feminist to be in the group. On a side note, I'm all for feminism in the Indian context  where I really do believe women are disenfranchised in many ways, but I was not given a chance to explain and was banned without, I believe any provocation.

We definitely have some non-negotiables (check the group rules). And the very conception that there is a brand of feminism that is about "hatred for men" shows the MRAish tendencies of bashing feminism without understanding it.

Anyways, feminism is equally valid in American context as in any. Ofcourse it is more urgent in India, but that doesn't mean wage gap, sexism in video games, sexual objectification, sexual violence, etc. are all important issues. So kindly check if you align with Nirmukta on these and if you think you do then kindly send us a new join request.

Also kindly read the trolls and disrupters guide on nirmukta.com to understand disambiguation between Freethought and free thought.
I had to delete the latest post because it talked about events that transpired in a 'secret' group and because it uses full names of people making them google searchable to this post, this is the reason many of us use psudonymns in forums, moderation open thread is open, it's public.

About other issues raised, perhaps a separate thread can be made on the nirmukta central facebook group or in these forums as a separate thread
[+] 1 user Likes LMC's post