sikhism to atheism
Hi friends,

I am an final year engineering student at BIT Mesra (and sadly have lost all interest in the field itself). I would better describe myself as an artist (sketching, painting etc) and a biblophile (guess that makes me more than an enthusiastic reader).
It's only recently that i have denounced religion completely (was skeptic earlier of the whole hypothesis and now am certain of it) and I must say the sense of freedom and relief that I feel now is just overwhelming. I have this new view of the grandeur of nature which has started to show in my drawings also (I am not a professional just do it for my selfish pleasure). Atheism as a way of life is just so much more satisfying as it develops critical thinking rather than promoting blind faith.

probaly I should stop, I am just babbling too much.

It's truly a pleausre and honour to be a part of this new credo (although i owe much of it too Dawkins and Stegner.)

Regards,
Gurpreet Singh Pannu
Hello and welcome to the boards!
Knowing that life is sacred and we get one shot at it is an onerous burden or a grand gift depending on which way you see it. Either we can see it as a video game with one bar of life left, in the middle of Zombie land with no health packs and no save points and no ample ammo or we can see life as an opportunity to live, learn, read, draw, sing and enjoy the company of others and revel in the beauty of our brief existence.
Atheism is often linked to nihilism but it opens one's eyes in a way that religion cannot. We're here today, gone tomorrow and remembered through our words and actions. No reincarnations, no cycles of life and death and struggle for escape. GoodMorning

What sort of books do you read? Feel free to visit the threads and pick up some suggestions by the community. Listen to some podcasts from our recommended list or add to them yourself.

Oh but before you do, please read the community forum rules.

Glad to have you here and looking forward to good discussions.

Nick.
"It's alright, I rarely meet anyone who's able to read it properly. Although personally, I never thought that it to be an odd of a name. Once I give people the pronunciation, they tend to remember my name by easily associating me with it. A unique face, a unique moniker."
Welcome! Also check out http://www.facebook.com/groups/NirmuktaBookClub/ Flowers
Wow! Nick those are some really good words. Wondering what do you read..?
"The Religion of one age is the literary entertainment of the next."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

My style of reading books is quite eccentric, I generally read all the books by one author at a time before moving on to the next, right now i'm reading " Why I am not a muslim? " by Ibn Warraq. (just started yesterday)
Unfortunately FB is Banned in collg, NO WAY to access it (nt even by proxies).
It will be of great help If you can give me some other link .
Hello and Welcome, Gurpreet!

I too love to paint/draw and read, just like you. Though it has only been about 6 months since I joined Nirmukta, through the discussions,articles and videos on this website I have succeeded in casting off scraps of fusty logic- the dregs of all those years spent being a very religious person.

Regards,

Naushirvan
نوشیروان
We can't astray from the forum topic hence i have mailed you.