the "we've been wrong before" fallacy
hello, sorry to barge in here but i'm trying to find the name of this fallacy (if it is one),

Quote:It’s possible the problem isn’t as serious as the researchers believe, but I see other reasons for the indifference. We all tend to underestimate the danger from old-fashioned, familiar technologies, particularly when the effects aren’t immediately obvious. Young athletes focus on victory today, not the future damage to their bodies. And if the winner of the Tour de France doesn’t ride a no-nose saddle, then neither will riders who want to look like him.
A Release Valve for Cyclists’ Unrelenting Pressure
Quote:And if the winner of the Tour de France doesn’t ride a no-nose saddle, then neither will riders who want to look like him.
this is slippery slope
actually it will depend on how big the problem really is , i don't know anything about no-nose saddle or how much winner's cycle decides choice of cycle but if he is trying to make a case against it by taking an extreme case, it will be slippery slope, it may also be a valid argument

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fallacy: Appeal to Authority mohankarthik 6 5,872 28-Oct-2015, 10:46 AM
Last Post: THAPLIYAL.SHASHI
  What fallacy/ies do you think apply to this sentence by Chopra? Ajita Kamal 6 6,372 19-Sep-2011, 09:32 PM
Last Post: arvindiyer
  Fallacy Hunting, Episode 4 - Science in the Quran Ajita Kamal 11 9,525 22-Jun-2011, 05:43 AM
Last Post: Ajita Kamal
  Is there a fallacy in this? unsorted 1 3,535 19-Oct-2010, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Ajita Kamal
  Spot The Logical Fallacy: Cell phone radiation dangers Ajita Kamal 10 8,928 30-Sep-2010, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Sajit
  Another logically incoherent comment for us to practice our fallacy detection skills Ajita Kamal 2 3,535 27-Jul-2010, 11:30 PM
Last Post: siddharth